Chicken Fajita Bowlbell peppers / quinoa
- Coriander - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken breasts - 1 lb, sliced
- Red onion - 1 , sliced
- Bell peppers, any combo - 1 lb, sliced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Quinoa, uncooked - 2/3 cup
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Lime - 1/2, juice of
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Spice mix - Mix together coriander, paprika, cumin, chili powder, and salt.
- Chicken - Slice. Toss with spice mix and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Onions / Peppers / Garlic / Cilantro - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cook quinoa (if not made from Monday) - Combine quinoa with 2x the amount of water (or stock if you prefer) in a saucepan. Add in some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat a saute pan or a wok (I find the high walls of a wok to work very well for fajita cooking) over medium-high heat. Add in cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil and saute until golden on the outside, ~3 minutes. Use tongs to remove chicken from pan, leaving oil (and all those yummy spices) in the pan. Set chicken aside (does not have to be cooked through at this point).
- Add onions to the pan and saute until softened and translucent, ~3 minutes. Toss in peppers and garlic, and cook for another 3 minutes. Add chicken (and all its juices) back into the pan. Toss through and cook until chicken is done (you might just have to slice through to check).
- Remove from heat and finish with lime juice. Toss with cilantro and season to taste with salt, pepper, and / or hot sauce. Finish with a dollop of sour cream (~2 Tbsp or 30 mL / serving) and enjoy with quinoa!
This meal has 35 reviews
Tasted ok; easy but not a favorite
Was pretty bland and not at all filling. I have a very tiny appetite and even I felt hungry after what was supposed to be one serving.
This was a surprise favorite. My 13 year old asked me if I could make this every week.
+1 T butter
Added green olives as a topping. Yummo
Really good! The seasoning on the chicken was delicious.