Mediterranean Chicken Bake
mixed green salad with zucchini ribbons and oranges
This oven dish is easy to put together ahead of time - just pop into the oven 25 minutes before dinner time! The moisture from the topping will make your chicken tender and juicy.
Smarts: For those who prefer sauteing or a stovetop preparation, you can also saute the chicken first and then add the topping.
- Shallots - 1 bulb , diced
- Artichoke hearts - 10 oz , chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless & skinless - 1 1/2 lbs , sliced against the grain
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Tomatoes - 3/4 lb , chopped
- Capers - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Feta (opt) - 3 oz , crumbled
- Oranges - 1 , segmented
- Zucchini - 1/2 lb , peeled into ribbons
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Salad greens of choice - 5 oz
Make Mediterranean topping - Mix together shallots, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, capers, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil.
Heat oven to 425F (218C).
Place Mediterranean topping over chicken and bake for 16 to 20 minutes, stirring once midway through.
While chicken bakes, use a peeler to peel zucchini into ribbons. Place into a colander and lightly salt.
Make vinaigrette by whisking together red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
When chicken is done, toss vinaigrette with zucchini, oranges, and greens. If using feta, sprinkle over chicken and enjoy with salad.