Mediterranean Chicken Bake
mixed green salad with zucchini ribbons and oranges
This oven dish is easy to put together ahead of time - just pop into the oven 25 minutes before dinner time! The moisture from the topping will make your chicken tender and juicy.
Smarts: For those who prefer sauteing or a stovetop preparation, you can also saute the chicken first and then add the topping.
- Chicken breasts, boneless & skinless - 1 1/2 lbs, sliced against the grain
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Shallots - 1 bulb, diced
- Artichoke hearts - 10 oz, chopped
- Tomatoes - 3/4 lb, chopped
- Capers - 2 Tbsp
- Balsamic vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- Feta (opt) - 2 oz, crumbled
- Oranges - 1, segmented
- Zucchini - 1/2 lb, peeled into ribbons
- Red wine vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Salad greens of choice - 5 oz
- Chicken - Slice against the grain into strips and place into a baking pan. Season with garlic powder and some salt and pepper. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Shallots / Artichoke hearts / Tomatoes / Oranges (for salad) - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make Mediterranean topping - Mix together shallots, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, capers, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil.
- Heat oven to 425F (218C).
- Place Mediterranean topping over chicken and bake for 16 to 20 minutes, stirring once midway through.
- While chicken bakes, use a peeler to peel zucchini into ribbons. Place into a colander and lightly salt.
- Make vinaigrette by whisking together red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When chicken is done, toss vinaigrette with zucchini, oranges, and greens. If using feta, sprinkle over chicken and enjoy with salad.
Good recipe. Needed something filling on the side (couscous, rice, etc.)0 Helpful
Very delicious. Made exactly as instructed. I didn't make the salad (which may have been the problem) but I wonder if this would be good paired with orzo or some kind of side dish since on its own I don't think this would have been enough for dinner. I'm a big eater though.0 Helpful
I make this chicken bake for lunches and it works out really well! It is a great recipe!0 Helpful
Came out great!0 Helpful
So simple yet so delicious! Didn't have a zucchini so replaced it with a squash, tastes just same great0 Helpful
Simple, easy weeknight meal. I didn't like the zucchini with the dressing --- tasted like pickles for some reason.0 Helpful