Slow Cooker Lentil Pozole
poblanos / tomatillos / avocado / radishes
Your slow cooker is perfect for cooking lentils without having to tend to the stove. Combined with all our Latin ingredients, this one is sure to become a simple fave!
Smarts: Slow cooking is a great way to keep the house cool as the weather gets warmer. Finish your soups with cool and crisp ingredients like the ones we use here - avocado, radishes, and sour cream.
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, diced
- Jalapenos - 2, seeded and diced
- Poblanos (sub 1 green pepper / 2 poblanos) - 2, diced
- Tomatillos (sub 1 underripe tomato / 2 tomatillos) - 3, diced
- Cilantro, fresh - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Coriander - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Lentils, uncooked - 1/2 cup
- Vegetable broth - 4 to 6 cups
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Hominy - 2 cups
- Avocado - 1, cubed
- Radishes - 3, sliced
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Sour cream - for serving
- Garlic / Onions / Jalapenos / Poblanos / Tomatillos / Cilantro - Prep as directed - they can all be placed into one bowl / container. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Aromatics - Toss garlic, onions, jalapenos, poblanos, and tomatillos with coriander, cumin, paprika, and chili powder. Microwave for 1 ½ minutes.
- Start slow cooking - Place lentils, aromatics, vegetable broth, and salt in a slow cooker. Cook for 8 to 9 hours on low or 4 to 5 hours on high. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Once pozole is done slow cooking, add in hominy and heat on high for another 10 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and more spices.
- Prep avocado, radishes, and limes.
- Top soup with cilantro, avocados, radishes, and sour cream. Serve with lime wedges!
I love this recipe! It's so straightforward to make, the chicken is fall apart tender and it freezes well.0 Helpful
Doubled the tomatillos because we love them!0 Helpful
Great recipe!0 Helpful
Too much work. My need for a slow cooker is to minimize cook time.0 Helpful
So, so delicious. We love anything with hominy and the flavors on this one were awesome!0 Helpful
one of my new favorite soups!!0 Helpful