Slow Cooker Chicken Pozolepoblanos / tomatillos / avocado / radishes
Your slow cooker is perfect for turning chicken breasts into tender meat that falls apart. Combined with all our Latin ingredients, this one is sure to become a fave!
Smarts: Slow cooking is a great way to keep the house cool as the weather gets warmer. Finish your soups with cool and crisp ingredients like the ones we use here - avocado, radishes, and sour cream.
- Chicken breasts, boneless or bone-in and skinless - 1 lb
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, diced
- Jalapenos - 2, seeded and diced
- Poblanos (sub 1 green pepper / 2 poblanos) - 2, diced
- Tomatillos (sub 1 underripe tomato / 2 tomatillos) - 3, diced
- Cilantro, fresh - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Coriander - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Chicken stock - 4 to 6 cups
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Hominy - 2 cups
- Avocado - 1, cubed
- Radishes - 3, sliced
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Sour cream - for serving
- Chicken - Season with garlic powder and some salt and pepper. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Onions / Jalapenos / Poblanos / Tomatillos / Cilantro - Prep as directed - they can all be placed into one bowl / container. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Aromatics - Toss garlic, onions, jalapenos, poblanos, and tomatillos with coriander, cumin, paprika, and chili powder. Microwave for 1 ½ minutes.
- Start slow cooking - Place chicken, aromatics, chicken stock, and salt in a slow cooker. Cook for 6 to 7 hours on low or 3 to 3 ½ hours on high. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Once pozole is done slow cooking, shred chicken with a fork and knife directly in slow cooker. Add in hominy and heat on high for another 10 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and more spices.
- Prep avocado, radishes, and limes.
- Top soup with cilantro, avocados, radishes, and sour cream. Serve with lime wedges!
This meal has 58 reviews
Doubled the tomatillos because we love them!
Too much work. My need for a slow cooker is to minimize cook time.
So, so delicious. We love anything with hominy and the flavors on this one were awesome!
one of my new favorite soups!!
I liked it, but I expected more. I suppose it doesn't help that I have a hispanic friend who has made kick-a$$ pozole for me before. It could've had significantly more spice.