Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
zucchini and carrot slaw
We use the slow cooker for easy, flavorful BBQ chicken sandwiches. It's so easy we doubled the recipe so you'll have leftovers for Tuesday.
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches:
- BBQ Sauce (store-bought or use recipe for sweet and tangy BBQ sauce below) - 1 1/2 cups
- Chicken breast, boneless and skinless (enough for two nights) - 2 lb
- Hamburger buns, gluten-free - 4
- Pickles (opt) - for serving
Zucchini and Carrot Slaw:
- Zucchini - 4
- Carrots - 3
- Cilantro, fresh - 1/2 bunch
- Sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp
Sweet and Tangy BBQ Sauce:
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Ketchup - 1 cup
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 Tbsp
- Molasses - 2 Tbsp
- Tamari - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Make BBQ sauce (skip this step if using store-bought sauce) - Chop garlic. Combine garlic, ketchup, chili powder, cumin, vinegar, molasses, tamari and mustard. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Slow cook chicken - This makes enough for Tuesday. In a slow cooker combine BBQ sauce and chicken. Set to low and cook until chicken is falling apart and tender, 5-6 hours, or 3-4 hours on high. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Prep slaw - Shred zucchini with a box grater or mandolin. Press between two paper towels to remove as much moisture as possible. Shred carrots. Chop cilantro. Combine zucchini, carrots, and cilantro. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Dress slaw - Toss slaw with sugar, vinegar and cooking oil. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and roughly chop. Return chicken to slow cooker and toss with BBQ sauce.
- Toss slaw and drain off any extra liquid. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast hamburger buns if you like. Top each bun with BBQ chicken (remember to save half for Tuesday) and pickles. Enjoy with slaw on the side (or on top of your sandwiches if preferred)!