Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
zucchini and carrot slaw
- BBQ Sauce (store-bought or use recipe for sweet and tangy BBQ sauce below) - 1 1/2 cups
- Chicken breast, boneless and skinless (enough for two nights) - 2 lb
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Pickles (opt) - for serving
- Zucchini - 4
- Carrots - 3
- Cilantro, fresh - 1/2 bunch
- Sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Ketchup - 1 cup
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 Tbsp
- Molasses - 2 Tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Make BBQ sauce (skip this step if using store-bought sauce) - Chop garlic. Combine garlic, ketchup, chili powder, cumin, vinegar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Slow cook chicken - This makes enough for Tuesday. In a slow cooker combine BBQ sauce and chicken. Set to low and cook until chicken is falling apart and tender, 5-6 hours, or 3-4 hours on high. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Prep slaw - Shred zucchini with a box grater or mandolin. Press between two paper towels to remove as much moisture as possible. Shred carrots. Chop cilantro. Combine zucchini, carrots, and cilantro. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Dress slaw - Toss slaw with sugar, vinegar and cooking oil. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and roughly chop. Return chicken to slow cooker and toss with BBQ sauce.
- Toss slaw and drain off any extra liquid. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast hamburger buns if you like. Top each bun with BBQ chicken (remember to save half for Tuesday) and pickles. Enjoy with slaw on the side (or on top of your sandwiches if preferred)!
We used broccoli slaw and store bought bbq sauce and added fries as a side because we had friends visiting :)0 Helpful
Loved the slaw.0 Helpful
I had read through some of the reviews and decided to: 1) Slow cook the chicken without the bbq sauce first and then added the sauce during the last hour of cooking 2) Add lime juice and some soy sauce to the slaw. REALLY TASTY!0 Helpful
The one thing I did was added a little bit of brown sugar in order to tone down the tangy flavor, because it was a little to much tang for my family. The slaw on the other hand was not a success. I think I may try it without the ciltrano, it was over powering the rest of it and my family is not a big fan of the ciltrano taste. Other than those 2 things, it was a big hit and I will make the BBQ again. =)0 Helpful
Tasty and super easy!0 Helpful
the slaw was really good, I used my spiralizer. The chicken wasn't the best0 Helpful