with baby spinach caprese salad
Honey, balsamic, and oranges add a lovely flavor to basic chicken breasts. Served up with a simple salad, this will make a classic dinner.
- Chicken breasts, bone-in and skin-on - 1 1/2 lbs
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Oranges - 1, sliced
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Balsamic-honey vinaigrette - 3 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Tomatoes, cherry - 1/2 pint, halved
- Cucumbers - 1/2, chopped
- Mozzarella, fresh - 4 oz, cubed
- Basil - 2 to 3 sprigs, sliced
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Balsamic-honey vinaigrette - ~5 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Balsamic vinegar - 3 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 4 Tbsp
- Chicken - Season both under and over skin with garlic powder and some salt and pepper. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together balsamic vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Oranges / Tomatoes / Cucumbers / Mozzarella / Basil - If prepping right before cooking, skip to make steps #1 - 2 before returning to this step. Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 425F (218C).
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then chicken breasts skin side down. Sear for 3 to 4 minutes until golden and crispy. Flip and remove skillet from heat. Pour chicken’s portion of vinaigrette under the skin onto the meat. Tuck orange slices under skin and then transfer skillet to the oven. Bake for 18 to 25 minutes until chicken reaches 165F (74C).
- When chicken is done, toss tomatoes, cucumbers, mozzarella, basil, and spinach with rest of vinaigrette. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy chicken with your Mediterranean salad!
The salad was ok and the chicken was dry.0 Helpful
Salad was delicious. Think cooking chicken cutlets this way and topping the salad with sliced chicken would have been better0 Helpful
This one was just ok. The chicken was a bit dry. Nothing special about the salad.0 Helpful
We used boneless skinless breasts and I don't think they worked as well. Salad was great!0 Helpful
I didn't put the skillet in the oven and had to cook the chicken about 30 min as a result. Still very good however!0 Helpful
Surprised again! We almost never eat a whole chicken breast but we did eat the whole thing! These were moist and flavorful in every bite. I cooked them for the full 25 minutes as called for in the recipe. Thanks Cooksmarts!0 Helpful