Rigatoni with Chard and Mushrooms
with mozzarella and walnuts
This vegetarian pasta dish is packed full of heartiness with sweet chard, umami mushrooms, and luscious fresh mozzarella. It'll be better than anything you can get at your local Italian trattoria!
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Shallots - 1 bulb, sliced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch, leaves torn, stems chopped
- Mushrooms, portobellos - 2, chopped
- Rigatoni (sub penne or fusilli) - 8 oz
- Walnuts - 1/3 cup, crushed
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Crushed tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Basil - 2 to 3 sprigs, chiffonade
- Mozzarella, fresh - 4 oz, cubed
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Save 1 cup (235 mL) of starch pasta water before draining.
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add walnuts and toast until golden and aromatic, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic, shallots, and chard stems to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until stems start to soften, ~3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms with oregano and saute for another 3 minutes and then pour in crushed tomatoes. Simmer for 6 to 8 minutes.
- While sauce cooks, chop basil and mozzarella.
- Stir in pasta water, chard leaves, and then toss with pasta. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide up pasta and serve with toasted walnuts, basil, and mozzarella.
Loved this. I didn't add the reserved pasta water since others had said it turned out watery, and it was absolutely perfect without it. I added a bit of extra salt and probably would do even a little bit more next time.0 Helpful
Thought it lacked flavor0 Helpful
Less chard next time. Added more heat, red pepper flakes Use pasta bowl to finish0 Helpful
Don't skip walnuts, basil, etc. Skip the pasta water as already pretty watery. Does need something to take the flavor up a notch - I added a dash of cayenne. Sausage would work, too.0 Helpful
My husband forgot to get mushrooms, but otherwise I followed the recipe. I was worried based on some reviews, but it was surprisingly good.0 Helpful
Too watery and bland0 Helpful