Rigatoni with Chard and Mushrooms
with mozzarella and walnuts
Rigatoni with Chard, Mushrooms, and Mozzarella:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Shallots - 1 bulb , sliced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch , leaves torn, stems chopped
- Mushrooms, portobellos - 2 , chopped
- Rigatoni (sub penne or fusilli) - 8 oz
- Walnuts - 1/3 cup , crushed
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Crushed tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Basil - 2 to 3 sprigs , chiffonade
- Mozzarella, fresh - 4 oz , cubed
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Save 1 cup (235 mL) of starch pasta water before draining.
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add walnuts and toast until golden and aromatic, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic, shallots, and chard stems to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until stems start to soften, ~3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms with oregano and saute for another 3 minutes and then pour in crushed tomatoes. Simmer for 6 to 8 minutes.
- While sauce cooks, chop basil and mozzarella.
- Stir in pasta water, chard leaves, and then toss with pasta. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide up pasta and serve with toasted walnuts, basil, and mozzarella.