Thai Steak Salad
cabbages / carrots / basil / cilantro
Thai Steak Salad:
- Flank steak (sub skirt, hangar steaks, pork chops, chicken thighs) - 1 1/2 lbs
- Cabbage, red - 6 oz , sliced
- Carrots, medium - 6 oz , grated
- Cilantro, fresh - 1/4 cup , chopped
- Romaine hearts - 2 , sliced or chopped
- Basil, fresh - 2 to 3 sprigs , thinly sliced
- Fish sauce - 3 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 6 Tbsp
- Peanuts, roasted (opt) - 1/4 cup , crushed
- Steak - Season with salt and pepper and then tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Cabbage / Carrots / Cilantro - If prepping right before cooking, skip to make steps #1 - 2. Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Romaine hearts / Basil - Prep as directed.
- Make dressing - Make dressing by whisking together fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, and cooking oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Position top rack ~6 inches (15 cm) from broiler and preheat broiler.
- Place steak on a foil lined sheet pan and broil on each side for ~3 minutes for medium-rare, ~4 minutes for medium, and ~5 minutes for well-done. When steak is done, take out of oven, cover with foil and let rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- Slice steak against the grain.
- Toss dressing with cabbage, carrots, cilantro, romaine, and basil. Top with sliced steak and peanuts if using.