Veggie Masala with Quinoa
roasted Indian okra
Smarts: If you prep the veggies for this meal ahead of time, dinner will come together in no time!
- Quinoa, uncooked - 1 1/2 cups
- Vegetable broth (or water) - 3 cups
- Ginger, fresh - 1 Tbsp, grated
- Onions - 1, diced
- Cauliflower - 1 lb, chopped
- Cilantro - 8 sprigs
- Garbanzo beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Coriander - 2 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 2 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 2 tsp
- Cayenne pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Nutmeg - 1/2 tsp
- Crushed tomatoes - 3 cups
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Cream (sub plain yogurt) - 1/2 cup
- Peas - 1 cup
- Lemons - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Okra - 1 lb, trimmed and halved
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Curry powder - 1/2 tsp
- Quinoa - This makes enough for Wednesday’s dinner. Combine quinoa with 2x the amount of broth in a saucepan. Add in some salt, cover, and bring to a boil. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Okra - If using fresh okra, slice off stems and then half lengthwise. If prepping right before cooking, skip to make steps #1 - 2 before returning to prep. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Ginger / Onions / Cauliflower / Cilantro - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead).
- Cauliflower - Place into a microwave-safe dish, cover with a damp paper towel, and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes (this will speed up the cooking process later).
- Garbanzo beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C.
- Toss okra with oil and spread onto a sheet pan. Roast for 20 minutes, shaking once midway through.
- While okra roasts, heat a skillet or non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and then ginger, onions, coriander, cumin, paprika, cayenne, and nutmeg to melted butter. Saute for ~2 minutes and then add in crushed tomatoes, water, and cream. Bring to a simmer.
- Fold in cauliflower, garbanzo beans, and peas and simmer in sauce for 8 to 10 minutes until cauliflower is fully tender.
- When okra is done, season with cumin and curry powder. Lightly salt and pepper and toss.
- Serve veggie tikka masala with chopped cilantro and lemon wedges over quinoa, plus roasted okra on the side. Remember to save half the quinoa and 1/4 cup (59 mL) of tikka masala sauce (amount for 4 servings; adjust accordingly if customizing) for later this week.
Super easy masala recipe; a bit too spicy for us.0 Helpful
Made with ground beef and skipped cayenne. Tasty and plenty spicy, but I'd like to try turkey next time.0 Helpful
Delish! We even enjoyed it as leftovers which is a real win in our house.0 Helpful
This is amazing! I had no idea I could cook Indian! Thanks Cook Smarts.0 Helpful
Big hit with the family.0 Helpful
Little spicy for kids, but delicious!0 Helpful