Indian Meatball Masala with Peas
roasted Indian okra
Smarts: Making a double batch of meatballs is pretty easy. Use half tonight and the other half for Indian lettuce wraps on Thursday.
- Ground turkey (sub chicken or pork) - 2 lbs
- Egg - 1
- Curry powder - 4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp + 1 1/2 tsp
- Cayenne pepper - 1/2 tsp + 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Ginger, fresh - 1 Tbsp, grated
- Onions - 1, diced
- Cilantro - 8 sprigs
- Grassfed butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Coriander - 2 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 2 tsp
- Nutmeg - 1/2 tsp
- Crushed tomatoes - 3 cups
- Water - 3/4 cup
- Peas - 1 1/2 cups
- Lemons - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Okra - 1 lb, trimmed and halved
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Curry powder - 1/2 tsp
- Make meatballs - This makes enough for two nights of dinner. Combine ground meat with egg, curry powder, garlic powder, turmeric, first part of cumin, first part of cayenne, salt, and tomato paste. Form into 1.5” (3.75 cm) wide meatballs. If the filling feels too wet to form into meatballs, you can add some almond meal. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Okra - If using fresh okra, slice off stems and then half lengthwise. If prepping right before cooking, skip to make steps #1 - 2 before returning to prep. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Ginger / Onions / Cilantro - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead).
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C.
- Toss okra with oil and spread onto a sheet pan. Roast for 20 minutes, shaking once midway through.
- While okra roasts, heat a skillet or non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and then ginger, onions, coriander, paprika, second part of cumin, nutmeg, and second part of cayenne to melted butter. Saute for ~2 minutes and then add in crushed tomatoes and water. Bring to a simmer.
- Drop in meatballs and simmer in sauce for 14 to 16 minutes or until meat is cooked through. Flip once midway through. Add peas in the last 5 minutes.
- When okra is done, season with cumin and curry powder. Lightly salt and pepper and toss.
- Serve meatball tikka masala with chopped cilantro and lemon wedges, plus roasted okra on the side. Remember to save half the meatballs and 1/2 cup (118 mL) of tikka masala sauce (amount for 4 servings; adjust accordingly if customizing) for later this week.
Super easy masala recipe; a bit too spicy for us.0 Helpful
Made with ground beef and skipped cayenne. Tasty and plenty spicy, but I'd like to try turkey next time.0 Helpful
Delish! We even enjoyed it as leftovers which is a real win in our house.0 Helpful
This is amazing! I had no idea I could cook Indian! Thanks Cook Smarts.0 Helpful
Big hit with the family.0 Helpful
Little spicy for kids, but delicious!0 Helpful