Chopped Tomato & Avocado Saladpeaches / walnuts / eggs
To make this meal paleo friendly, we deconstruct a classic caprese sandwich and make it into a vibrant and full salad with peaches, walnuts, eggs, and avocado. No one will miss the meat tonight, we promise!
Smarts: Older eggs are easier to peel so buy two cartons. One for serving within the week and one for hardboiling 10 days after purchase.
- Eggs - 6, hard-boiled
- Balsamic vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1/4 cup
- Basil - 2 sprigs, leaves chiffonade
- Shallots - 1/2 bulb, chopped
- Tomatoes, heirloom preferable - 1 lb, cubed
- Avocado, large - 1, cubed
- Peaches - 1/2 lb, sliced
- Baby spinach or romaine lettuce - 5 oz, chopped
- Walnuts, crushed - 1/4 cup
- Sunflower seeds - 2 Tbsp
- Hard boil eggs - Place eggs in a saucepan, and cover by 1” (2.5 cm) of water. Salt generously and then bring to a boil. Once water has reached a boil, take it off the heat and just let it sit for 11 minutes. Crack and chop eggs before serving. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Basil / Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Avocado / Peaches - Prep as directed.
- Romaine lettuce - Chop.
- Toss vinaigrette with lettuce, basil, shallots, tomatoes, avocado, peaches, walnuts, sunflower seeds, and eggs.
This meal has 36 reviews
yummy sandwich, and easy to make. I didn't have avocados that were ripe, so I added a little black forest ham, which turned out lovely. Same for the salad- didn't have peaches, but it was still delicious. Will make again for lunch!
A great summer time lunch!
Yum! I roasted cherry tomatoes with thyme, sea salt & garlic. I used arugula and basil and tossed it in a little balsamic before placing it on the sandwich. I toasted the sandwich (before adding basil and arugula mix) in the broiler and it was fabulous.
Don't need quite as much peaches, tomatoes as advetised. Next time lighter on the maple syrup. But overall superb salad.
Loved it! So easy and fast to make
Made for great leftovers. Could have used more basil.