Avocado Caprese Chopped Salad
polenta cubes / peaches / walnuts
To make this meal gluten-free, we deconstruct a classic caprese sandwich and make it into a vibrant and full salad with peaches, walnuts, polenta cubes, and avocado. No one will miss the meat tonight, we promise!
Smarts: Premade polenta is a good shortcut to use every once in awhile and it comes in handy for this quick salad.
- Balsamic vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1/4 cup
- Basil - 2 sprigs, leaves chiffonade
- Shallots - 1/2 bulb, chopped
- Polenta, pre-cooked - 10 oz, cubed
- Tomatoes, heirloom preferable - 1 lb, cubed
- Avocado, large - 1, cubed
- Mozzarella, fresh - 8 oz, cubed
- Peaches - 1/2 lb, sliced
- Baby spinach or romaine lettuce - 5 oz, chopped
- Walnuts, crushed - 1/4 cup
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Basil / Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Polenta / Tomatoes / Avocado / Mozzarella / Peaches - Prep as directed.
- Romaine lettuce - Chop.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add some oil to the pan and then polenta cubes to heated oil. Saute until crispy and golden on the outside, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Toss vinaigrette with lettuce, basil, shallots, tomatoes, avocado, mozzarella, peaches, walnuts, and polenta cubes.
Sandwiches were great. Heated rolls too. Didn't use walnuts in salad. Delicious!0 Helpful
yummy sandwich, and easy to make. I didn't have avocados that were ripe, so I added a little black forest ham, which turned out lovely. Same for the salad- didn't have peaches, but it was still delicious. Will make again for lunch!0 Helpful
A great summer time lunch!0 Helpful
Yum! I roasted cherry tomatoes with thyme, sea salt & garlic. I used arugula and basil and tossed it in a little balsamic before placing it on the sandwich. I toasted the sandwich (before adding basil and arugula mix) in the broiler and it was fabulous.0 Helpful
Don't need quite as much peaches, tomatoes as advetised. Next time lighter on the maple syrup. But overall superb salad.0 Helpful
Loved it! So easy and fast to make0 Helpful