Avocado Caprese Sandwichwith peach & walnut salad
- Basil - 2 to 3 sprigs, leaves of
- Tomatoes, heirloom preferable - 1 lb, sliced
- Avocado, large - 1, thinly sliced
- Mozzarella, fresh - 8 oz, thinly sliced
- Baguette or ciabatta - 10 oz
- Balsamic vinaigrette - 2 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Basil - 2 sprigs, leaves chiffonade
- Shallots - 1/2 bulb, sliced
- Peaches, large - 1, sliced
- Baby spinach or mixed greens - 4 oz
- Balsamic vinaigrette - 5 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Walnuts, crushed - 1/4 cup
- Balsamic vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1/4 cup
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Basil (for both salad and sandwich) / Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Avocado (video is for wedges, but you’ll slice more thinly) / Mozzarella / Peaches - Prep as directed.
- Baguette - Slice open through the middle.
- Brush sandwich portion of vinaigrette onto tomatoes and mozzarella and then lightly salt and pepper. Assemble sandwiches by layering avocado, tomatoes, basil (if using), and mozzarella between bread. You can also make these open-faced melts and ditch the top piece of bread and place under a broiler for 4 to 6 minutes, until cheese has melted.
- Toss remainder of vinaigrette with greens, basil, shallots, peaches, and walnuts. Enjoy salad with your sandwich!
This meal has 36 reviews
Added grilled portobellos and that gave it an extra layer of flavor.
The vinaigrette was so good!
Excellent and hearty salad
I broiled the sandwiches open faced, very good! I loved the salad, the basil gave it such a great new flavor :)
Ended up putting the avocado in the salad, along with some feta cheese. So good. I guess we didn't quite make an avocado caprese sandwich, but still so tasty! Love.
Great meal for summer. I put the sandwiches under the broiler. Delicious!