Avocado Caprese Sandwichwith peach & walnut salad
- Basil - 2 to 3 sprigs, leaves of
- Tomatoes, heirloom preferable - 1 lb, sliced
- Avocado, large - 1, thinly sliced
- Mozzarella, fresh - 8 oz, thinly sliced
- Baguette or ciabatta - 10 oz
- Balsamic vinaigrette - 2 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Basil - 2 sprigs, leaves chiffonade
- Shallots - 1/2 bulb, sliced
- Peaches, large - 1, sliced
- Baby spinach or mixed greens - 4 oz
- Balsamic vinaigrette - 5 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Walnuts, crushed - 1/4 cup
- Balsamic vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1/4 cup
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Basil (for both salad and sandwich) / Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Avocado (video is for wedges, but you’ll slice more thinly) / Mozzarella / Peaches - Prep as directed.
- Baguette - Slice open through the middle.
- Brush sandwich portion of vinaigrette onto tomatoes and mozzarella and then lightly salt and pepper. Assemble sandwiches by layering avocado, tomatoes, basil (if using), and mozzarella between bread. You can also make these open-faced melts and ditch the top piece of bread and place under a broiler for 4 to 6 minutes, until cheese has melted.
- Toss remainder of vinaigrette with greens, basil, shallots, peaches, and walnuts. Enjoy salad with your sandwich!
This meal has 36 reviews
The salad!! So good. I would make a much bigger salad with some bread and cheese on the side next time.
Love the salad! Delicious!
The sandwich is a three - good but not life-changing. The salad is a four, simple but so delicious. And a huge hit with our kid.
We all loved this! Added to favorites. Spouse added prosciutto for protein on whole wheat baguette sandwich, I doubled the vinaigrette to be able to brush the bread, and omitted all extra salt... Otherwise followed recipe as written.
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE- wonderful fresh summer taste! We were all sad (kids and adults) when it was all gone!
Delicious dressing and salad. Did an opened faced sandwich under broiler and thought is was okay. Will give sandwich another try without heating.