Avocado Caprese Sandwichwith peach & walnut salad
- Basil - 2 to 3 sprigs, leaves of
- Tomatoes, heirloom preferable - 1 lb, sliced
- Avocado, large - 1, thinly sliced
- Mozzarella, fresh - 8 oz, thinly sliced
- Baguette or ciabatta - 10 oz
- Balsamic vinaigrette - 2 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Basil - 2 sprigs, leaves chiffonade
- Shallots - 1/2 bulb, sliced
- Peaches, large - 1, sliced
- Baby spinach or mixed greens - 4 oz
- Balsamic vinaigrette - 5 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Walnuts, crushed - 1/4 cup
- Balsamic vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1/4 cup
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Basil (for both salad and sandwich) / Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Avocado (video is for wedges, but you’ll slice more thinly) / Mozzarella / Peaches - Prep as directed.
- Baguette - Slice open through the middle.
- Brush sandwich portion of vinaigrette onto tomatoes and mozzarella and then lightly salt and pepper. Assemble sandwiches by layering avocado, tomatoes, basil (if using), and mozzarella between bread. You can also make these open-faced melts and ditch the top piece of bread and place under a broiler for 4 to 6 minutes, until cheese has melted.
- Toss remainder of vinaigrette with greens, basil, shallots, peaches, and walnuts. Enjoy salad with your sandwich!
This meal has 36 reviews
Really yummy. I broiled both the bottom half and buttered the top half of the bread to make a crunchy toasted sandwich. And instead of making the balsamic vinaigrette I used a blackberry walnut one that I got from the melting pot. SOO GOOD.!
The salad was so delicious! We made the sandwiches open faced for yummy melts cheesy goodness, and I think that was a good call!
Solid meal. I really liked the salad a lot!
I didn't have an avocado because someone at my house got to it before I could say that I needed it for a meal. I did add proscuitto. Served on ciabatta, very good!
Forgot the avocado and the leafy green went bad so we put everything on the sandwich. It was so good! I love homemade dressing!
Loved it! Was delicious, super easy and healthy... !!