Avocado Caprese Sandwich
with peach & walnut salad
Smarts: If you want to start making your own cheese, mozzarella is an easy and great one to start with!
- Basil - 2 to 3 sprigs, leaves of
- Tomatoes, heirloom preferable - 1 lb, sliced
- Avocado, large - 1, thinly sliced
- Mozzarella, fresh - 8 oz, thinly sliced
- Baguette or ciabatta - 10 oz
- Balsamic vinaigrette - 2 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Basil - 2 sprigs, leaves chiffonade
- Shallots - 1/2 bulb, sliced
- Peaches, large - 1, sliced
- Baby spinach or mixed greens - 4 oz
- Balsamic vinaigrette - 5 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Walnuts, crushed - 1/4 cup
- Balsamic vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1/4 cup
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Basil (for both salad and sandwich) / Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Avocado (video is for wedges, but you’ll slice more thinly) / Mozzarella / Peaches - Prep as directed.
- Baguette - Slice open through the middle.
- Brush sandwich portion of vinaigrette onto tomatoes and mozzarella and then lightly salt and pepper. Assemble sandwiches by layering avocado, tomatoes, basil (if using), and mozzarella between bread. You can also make these open-faced melts and ditch the top piece of bread and place under a broiler for 4 to 6 minutes, until cheese has melted.
- Toss remainder of vinaigrette with greens, basil, shallots, peaches, and walnuts. Enjoy salad with your sandwich!
Sandwiches were great. Heated rolls too. Didn't use walnuts in salad. Delicious!0 Helpful
yummy sandwich, and easy to make. I didn't have avocados that were ripe, so I added a little black forest ham, which turned out lovely. Same for the salad- didn't have peaches, but it was still delicious. Will make again for lunch!0 Helpful
A great summer time lunch!0 Helpful
Yum! I roasted cherry tomatoes with thyme, sea salt & garlic. I used arugula and basil and tossed it in a little balsamic before placing it on the sandwich. I toasted the sandwich (before adding basil and arugula mix) in the broiler and it was fabulous.0 Helpful
Don't need quite as much peaches, tomatoes as advetised. Next time lighter on the maple syrup. But overall superb salad.0 Helpful
Loved it! So easy and fast to make0 Helpful