Cajun Skillet Pasta
peppers / sausage / beans
Cajun Skillet Pasta:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Shallots - 2 bulbs , sliced
- Tomatoes, vine-ripened - 2 , diced
- Bell peppers, green - 1 , sliced
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , sliced
- Sausage, andouille (cooked) - 1/2 lb , sliced
- Beans, cannellini or garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Pasta, penne (or other shape) - 6 oz
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce - to taste
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain and keep 1/4 to 1/2 cup (58 to 118 mL) of pasta water (for 4 servings; adjust accordingly if customizing).
- While pasta cooks, heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and then garlic, shallots, and tomatoes to heated oil. Saute for ~1 minute.
- Next add in sausage, beans, and peppers. Saute for another 5 minutes.
- Toss in pasta and ~1/4 cup (58 mL) of pasta water. Saute for another 2 minutes. If it needs more sauce, add more pasta water.
- Fold in sour cream and spinach. Finish with lemon juice and season to taste with salt, pepper, and your favorite hot sauce!