Pulled Pork Gyros
with cabbage slaw
Go ahead and throw in a pork loin in a slow cooker (don't worry we have oven directions too) for the most perfect pulled pork. And with a little bit of cabbage slaw and avocado wrapped in a toasted pita bread, everyone in the family will be asking for seconds. For a shortcut, buy pre-made pulled pork. Just skip the first 10 ingredients
Pulled Pork Gyros:
- Pork loin - 2 1/2 to 3 lbs
- Garlic - 4 cloves , peeled
- Red onions - 2 medium , quartered
- Chili powder - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Oregano - 2 tsp
- Cayenne pepper - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
- Ground pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- Carrots - 2 , peeled and grated
- Cabbage - 1 1/2 cups , shredded
- Cherry tomatoes - 1/2 cup , halved
- Greek yogurt - 3 Tbsp
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Apple cider vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1 1/2 tsp
- Pita bread - 4 to 8
- Avocado - 1 to 2 , cubed
- Pork loin - Divide into 4 pieces
- For pulled pork: Garlic / Red onions - Prep as directed
- Make pulled pork (slow-cooker) - In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne, salt and pepper. Season pork loin pieces with spice mixture, rubbing in thoroughly on all sides. Place garlic, onions, pork pieces, and 1 cup (236 ml) water into a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Make pulled pork (in the oven) - Preheat oven to 325F (163C) degees. In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne, salt and pepper. Season pork loin pieces with spice mixture, rubbing in thoroughly on all sides. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or oven-safe pot over medium high heat. Add pork loin and sear both sides until browned, about 3-4 minutes per side. Add garlic, onions, and 1 cup (236 ml) of water. Cover with foil or parchment paper and then lid. Cook for 4 hours until tender.
- For slaw: Carrots / Cabbage / Cherry tomatoes - Prep as directed
- Remove pork loin from the slow cooker or Dutch oven and shred the meat before returning to the pot with the juices. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium bowl, combine cabbage and carrots. In another bowl, whisk together yogurt, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, and sugar, to taste. Pour mixture over cabbage slaw and stir using a rubber spatula until well combined.
- Toast pitas and cube avocado.
- To assemble, top each pita bread with pulled pork, slaw, tomatoes, and avocado.