Sausage & Shrimp Gumbo with Brown Rice
peppers / okra / tomatoes
Combining shrimp, andouille sausage, and a delicious medley of vegetables, this gumbo is going to hit the spot! It'll be fantastic for any potluck too!
Smarts: The roux (browning of flour & butter) will deepen the flavor but if you're in a real hurry, you can skip it (we won't tell!). The okra will still give this lots of body.
- Brown rice, uncooked - 2/3 cup
- Shrimp, peeled & deveined - 1/2 lb
- Onions - 1, diced
- Bell pepper, green - 1, diced
- Bell pepper, red - 1, diced
- Okra - 1/2 lb, stems removed and sliced
- Sausage, andouille (cooked) - 1/2 lb, sliced
- Diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Flour - 3 Tbsp
- Stock, chicken - 1/2 cup + 1 1/2 cups
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cajun seasoning - 2 tsp
- Bay leaves - 1
- Hot sauce - for serving
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Rice - Double if making tomorrow night’s dinner. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water, ~45 minutes for brown rice. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. If you doubled, remember to set half aside. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry.
- Onions / Bell peppers / Okra / Sausage - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Diced tomatoes - Drain.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and butter. Once heated / melted, add flour and stir to mix. Cook until amber brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in first part of chicken stock and then onions, bell peppers, paprika, and Cajun seasoning with a sprinkle of salt. Cook until aromatic and softened, ~3 minutes.
- Add sausage, tomatoes, okra, second part of chicken stock, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Fold in shrimp and cook for another 4 to 6 minutes until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, more of the spices or your favorite hot sauce. Enjoy over rice with lime wedges. (Remember to save half the rice if you doubled)
Great! I doubled the shrimp and the sausage. Delicious. Not too spicy. -R0 Helpful
Absolutely a family favorite0 Helpful
I couldn't find okra so I used zucchini. It's delicious.0 Helpful
Spicy and fabulous! My husband and I were both very impressed how authentic this tasted. Threw in a couple cloves of garlic, tsp of ancho chili pepper, and followed everything else exactly. Will be making again for guests!0 Helpful
Excellent, but my kids only ate rice.0 Helpful
With family from LA, this isn't the best gumbo I've ever had by any means, but for how quick it is, you can't beat the end result!0 Helpful