Cumin-Paprika Spiced Tilapia with Zucchini & Red Pepper
almond-crusted avocado 'fries'
Almond-Crusted Avocado Fries:
- Coconut flour (sub arrowroot powder) - 1/4 cup
- Egg - 1 , whisked
- Almond meal - 1/2 cup
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Avocado - 2 , sliced into wedges
Cumin-Paprika Spiced Tilapia with Zucchini & Red Pepper:
- Tilapia fillets - 1 lb
- Zucchini - 2 , sliced at a bias
- Bell peppers, red - 2 , sliced
- Shallots - 1 , sliced
- Cumin - 1 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 3/4 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 3/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1/2 , sliced into wedges
- Tilapia - Rinse and pat dry. Place onto a baking sheet.
- Zucchini / Red Peppers / Shallots - If prepping right before cooking, pre-heat oven first (Make Step #1). Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Prep breading stations - 1) In one bowl, mix coconut flour with some salt and pepper; 2) In a second bowl, lightly whisk egg. If you like spice, add a few drops of your favorite hot sauce; 3) In a third bowl, mix together almond meal, paprika, some salt and pepper, and cooking oil.
- Avocado - Slice into wedges.
- Make spice mix for veggies / fish - Mix together cumin, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead).
- Arrange oven to fit two sheet pans. Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Place a wired cooling rack into a sheet pan.
- Dip avocado wedges into flour, then egg, and then almond meal. Place breaded wedges on cooling rack. I found it pretty quick to do wedges one at a time. Shake and bake doesn’t quite work as well with delicate avocado wedges. Continue until done and then bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the crust gets golden.
- Sprinkle ~1/3 of the spice mix over the tilapia fillets. Toss remainder of the spice mix, plus cooking oil, with zucchini, red peppers, and shallots and spread over the tilapia fillets. Roast for 12 to 14 minutes with avocado fries until veggies are tender but still a bit crunchy.
- Slice lemons into wedges.
- Serve fish and roasted veggies and crunchy avocado fries all together with lemon wedges.