Slow Cooker Beef Borscht
beets / carrots / potatoes
Smarts: We don't offer non-slow cooker steps for this recipe because we think using a slow cooker is the best way to make this beef soft and tender.
- Beef stew meat - 1 lb, cubed
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Beets - 3/4 lb, peeled and chopped
- Carrots - 1/2 lb, chopped
- Potatoes - 1/2 lb, peeled and chopped
- Red cabbage - 6 oz ((6 oz = ~3 cups, sliced))
- Parsley (opt) - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Beef broth / stock - 4 cups
- Tomato paste - 1/4 cup
- Bay leaf - 1
- Sour cream - 4 Tbsp
- Optional step: Heat a skillet and sear meat in some heated oil, until it’s golden brown on the outside.
- Transfer meat (seared or not) to slow cooker. Add in onions, beets, carrots, potatoes, beef broth / stock, tomato paste, and bay leaf. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Add cabbage and cook on high for another 20 to 30 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide into bowls and enjoy with sour cream and parsley!
based on comments i added more salt and then after it came off the stove i added 1 tbsp of red wine vingear and soy sauce and a healthy sprinkling of cumin. Also- we don't have a slow cooker. I cooked the veggies for 10-15 min, made a hole in the center and browned the meat, added in the broth and cooked it for 1 hour and let it cool for 15 before serving. it was lovely. Also: served with greek yogurt instead of sour cream.0 Helpful
You have to like beets to like this soup. I thought the tomato paste would overpower but not at all. I skipped the sour cream for a vegan option. Easy way to get in a lot of vegetables and this makes a lot of soup!!!!0 Helpful
Very tasty Borscht! Though I did use ground beef instead of what was called for. Unfortunately there was a decent amount of fat. I will probably use the beef that the recipe calls for next time.0 Helpful
I loved it the rest of my family thought it was weird. I think they're afraid of tubers.0 Helpful
I made this vegetarian version first. I was unsure about the Sour cream on it at first. And it was so good! 2nd try remaking. I added some left over ground turkey. And omg. So much better.0 Helpful
Excellent recipe!0 Helpful