Slow Cooker Beef Borschtbeets / carrots / potatoes
Borscht - an Eastern European / Russian soup - is probably my favorite soup. I love the beautiful color and depth added by beets; even if you don't love beets, you will love the sweet-savoriness of this soup, I promise!
Smarts: We don't offer non-slow cooker steps for this recipe because we think using a slow cooker is the best way to make this beef soft and tender.
- Beef stew meat - 1 lb, cubed
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Beets - 3/4 lb, peeled and chopped
- Carrots - 1/2 lb, chopped
- Potatoes - 1/2 lb, peeled and chopped
- Red cabbage - 6 oz ((6 oz = ~3 cups, sliced))
- Parsley (opt) - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Beef broth / stock - 4 cups
- Tomato paste - 1/4 cup
- Bay leaf - 1
- Sour cream - 4 Tbsp
- Optional step: Heat a skillet and sear meat in some heated oil, until it’s golden brown on the outside.
- Transfer meat (seared or not) to slow cooker. Add in onions, beets, carrots, potatoes, beef broth / stock, tomato paste, and bay leaf. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Add cabbage and cook on high for another 20 to 30 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide into bowls and enjoy with sour cream and parsley!
This meal has 43 reviews
Very tasty Borscht! Though I did use ground beef instead of what was called for. Unfortunately there was a decent amount of fat. I will probably use the beef that the recipe calls for next time.
I loved it the rest of my family thought it was weird. I think they're afraid of tubers.
I made this vegetarian version first. I was unsure about the Sour cream on it at first. And it was so good! 2nd try remaking. I added some left over ground turkey. And omg. So much better.
I really liked this, my husband not so much, he doesn't like crockpot meat (weird). PS - I agree on more salt.
Was nervous to make at home. Not huge on beets. I loved it!!