Mushu Egg | from 6/16/14
wraps with carrots and shiitakes
Smarts: No need to find authentic 'mushu' wrappers. Flour tortillas work just fine!
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped, white and green parts separated
- Shiitake mushrooms - 1/2 lb, sliced
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Mirin (opt) - 1 Tbsp ((This is a Japanese rice wine. If you can't find it, try a splash of white wine))
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix (or sub with shredded cabbage and carrots) - 12 oz
- Tortillas, flour (taco-sized) - 8
- Sriracha sauce (opt) - for serving
- Garlic / Green onions / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Mix together soy sauce, mirin, brown sugar, water, and cornstarch.
- Eggs - Whisk.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add in first part of cooking oil and eggs to heated oil. Lightly scramble and then remove from wok when done.
- Return wok to medium-high heat and add second part of cooking oil. Once oil is heated, add coleslaw mix. Saute for ~5 minutes and then add in white parts of green onions, garlic, and mushrooms.
- Push all the vegetables to the side, forming a hole in the middle (like a donut). Give your sauce a stir, and then pour it in the hole.
- Once sauce starts to bubble and darken, toss to mix. Remove from heat and then fold in eggs.
- Warm tortillas. Let everyone assemble their own mushu wraps using Sriracha sauce, filling, and green parts of green onion.
Needs more seasoning0 Helpful
Overall we liked this dish. Next time, I'd spice up the sauce a little more and take more care not to cook the cole slaw mix to mush. But still tasty and worth making again.0 Helpful
Wonderful! I will definitely make it again.0 Helpful
Huge hit with the family! My sonata ALL of the veggies and went back for seconds!0 Helpful
Fantastic! Family devoured it. Next time, would double everything.0 Helpful
Yum! Used a broccoli slaw and just regular mushrooms. We had sriracha sauce which was good, hoisin as well would have added more flavor. Just used flour tortillas that were on hand. Doubled the sauce because we wanted it to be extra saucy, that made more than enough.0 Helpful