Mushu-Style Chicken | from 6/16/14
with carrots and shiitakes over scrambled eggs
Smarts: Since mushu wrappers aren't paleo friendly, we'll enjoy this over eggs instead.
- Chicken breasts - 1 lb, sliced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped, white and green parts separated
- Shiitake mushrooms - 1/2 lb, sliced
- Bragg's / Coconut aminos - 2 Tbsp
- Mirin (opt) - 1 Tbsp ((This is a Japanese rice wine. If you are strictly paleo, you can use white wine or skip it altogether))
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Arrowroot powder - 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 8
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix (or sub with shredded cabbage and carrots) - 12 oz
- Sriracha sauce (opt) - for serving
- Chicken - Slice into thin strips. Season and tenderize with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Green onions / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Mix together aminos, mirin, maple syrup, water, and arrowroot powder.
- Eggs - Whisk.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add in first part of cooking oil and eggs to heated oil. Lightly scramble and then remove from wok when done.
- Return wok to medium-high heat and add second part of cooking oil. Once oil is heated, add coleslaw mix. Saute for ~5 minutes and then add in white parts of green onions, garlic, and mushrooms.
- Push all the vegetables to the side, forming a hole in the middle (like a donut). Place chicken in the donut hole. Give your sauce a stir, and then pour it over the chicken.
- Once sauce starts to bubble and darken, toss to mix. Continue to stir-fry until chicken is cooked through (since the chicken has been sliced into thin strips, this shouldn't take more than another 4 to 5 minutes).
- Enjoy your mushu saute with Sriracha sauce and green parts of green onion over scrambled eggs.
Needs more seasoning0 Helpful
Overall we liked this dish. Next time, I'd spice up the sauce a little more and take more care not to cook the cole slaw mix to mush. But still tasty and worth making again.0 Helpful
Wonderful! I will definitely make it again.0 Helpful
Huge hit with the family! My sonata ALL of the veggies and went back for seconds!0 Helpful
Fantastic! Family devoured it. Next time, would double everything.0 Helpful
Yum! Used a broccoli slaw and just regular mushrooms. We had sriracha sauce which was good, hoisin as well would have added more flavor. Just used flour tortillas that were on hand. Doubled the sauce because we wanted it to be extra saucy, that made more than enough.0 Helpful