Jerk Chicken Thighs | from 3/9/15
with coconut rice and beans and a side salad
Smarts: While we made this with our jerk seasoning mix, feel free to use Cajun if that's what you already have on hand.
- Garlic - 1 clove, minced
- Bell peppers, any type - 1, sliced thinly
- Red wine vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 4 oz
- Jerk or Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, sliced, seeded if you want less heat
- Chicken thighs, boneless & skinless - 1 lb ((use chicken breasts for lower fat option))
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Kidney beans (14oz / 397g can) - 1 can, rinsed and drained
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Bay leaves - 1
- Jerk or Cajun seasoning - 1 tsp
- Rice, long-grain - 1 cup
- Chicken stock - 1 cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken - Mix together jerk or Cajun seasoning, brown sugar, cinnamon, soy sauce, vinegar, and cooking oil. Slice jalapenos and add to marinade. Toss marinade with chicken and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Beans - Rinse and drain.
- Garlic (for rice and salad) / Bell peppers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat a Dutch oven or non-stick pot over medium-high heat for rice and beans. Pour in coconut milk, garlic, bay leaves, and jerk or Cajun seasoning. Bring to a simmer and then add rice, chicken stock, and salt. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until rice has absorbed all the liquid. Fold in beans.
- While rice is cooking, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brush some oil over skillet and then add chicken. Sear for ~3 minutes, flip and lower heat to medium. Cover with a lid and cook for another 3 minutes or until chicken is done (165F or 74C).
- Make vinaigrette by whisking together garlic, vinegar, Dijon, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss vinaigrette with greens and peppers when rice and chicken are done.
- Remove bay leaves from rice and serve chicken with lime wedges and enjoy with coconut rice and salad!
This was a hit with the family! Very flavourful.0 Helpful
Quick and delicious!0 Helpful
I made my own jerk seasoning when my attempt to find at the store failed. Still have some for my next meal. Delicious!0 Helpful
Very good, cinnamon adds a nice touch. I added some garlic powder as well and skipped the jalapenos. It was still plenty spicy for me!0 Helpful
Really good! Used chicken tenders - they were moist and flavorful. Added extra garlic to the rice and added the beans with the stock. Put too much garlic in the salad dressing - it was spicy!0 Helpful
Yummy! I used Lite Organic coconut milk and reduced the oil in the salad dressing to 1 TBS to shave off calories. I used Creole seasoning and Zatarain's mustard instead of Dijon. I forgot to spritz the rice with the lime - but will definitely do that last time. Hubby and I loved it. We ate all the cauliflower between the two of us and have rice and salad for lunch tomorrow!0 Helpful