Tom Kha Gai Soup | from 3/9/15
with chicken, zucchini, and mushrooms
Smarts: We use 1 cup of coconut milk (based on 4 servings) tonight here and the other cup gets used in tomorrow night's dinner. #ReduceFoodWaste
- Chicken breasts, boneless & skinless - 1 lb
- Fish sauce - 2 tsp + 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp + 1 tsp
- Lemongrass - 3 stalks, mashed
- Ginger - 1/2 inch, sliced thinly
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Mushrooms, brown or shiitake - 1/2 lb, sliced thinly
- Zucchini, large - 1, sliced thinly
- Tomatoes, small - 2, sliced thinly
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Stock, chicken - 3 cups
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, sliced thinly
- Cilantro (opt) - 1/4 bunch, leaves torn off of stems
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then aromatics - lemongrass, ginger, and garlic. Saute for ~1 minute, until very fragrant.
- Next add chicken and saute until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fold in mushrooms and saute for another 2 to 3 minutes until mushrooms start to get golden.
- Pour in coconut milk, chicken stock, and second parts of fish sauce and brown sugar. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 4 to 6 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, slice jalapeños, pick off cilantro leaves, and slice limes into wedges.
- Fold in zucchini and tomatoes. If you sliced zucchini super thin, the residual heat will cook the zucchini and you can just turn off the heat. Otherwise, simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes to cook the zucchini.
- Season with hot sauce, and more fish sauce if it’s not savory enough.
- Divide into bowls and serve with jalapeños, cilantro, and lime wedges.
Oh this soup is a winner! The veggies are perfectly crisp and the broth is so simple but tasty. I did end up adding extra coconut milk and stock as I like my soup a little more 'brothier'. I didn't have a good tool to mash the lemongrass with, and will probably use a different method for incorporating it next time. Overall, it's a beautiful and delicious dish!0 Helpful
This is a favorite that we keep coming back to! Love it and it's so easy.0 Helpful
Made it again doubled recipe for 8 so more could enjoy!0 Helpful
This has become a family favorite! I've modified a bit though, I add 2 cans of coconut milk plus the broth, makes more soup and brings out the coconut flavor. I add less veggies due to the picky family and I cook rice noodles to add into our bowls to make it more filling. Love this soup!!!0 Helpful
Subbed mock duck for tofu and made some soba noodles to go with it. Everyone loved it.0 Helpful
Loved this! I made it with half the amount of honey and it was so tasty.0 Helpful