with shrimp and chicken sausage
- Rice - 1 3/4 cups
- Frozen shrimp - 1 lb, peeled and deveined
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Red onion (small) - 1, diced
- Cooked chicken sausage - 2 links, diced
- Carrots - 2, peeled and grated
- Ginger - 1 Tbsp, grated
- Green onions - 2, thinly sliced
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Frozen corn - 1/2 cup
- Frozen peas - 1/2 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Sriracha - , for serving
- Rice - Make if not done on prep day or for Monday's dinner. Cook rice with a 2:1 water to rice ratio. Bring to a boil, then simmer until rice has absorbed all liquid (20 to 25 min. for white rice; 45 to 50 for brown)
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and dry
- Garlic / Red onion / Sausage / Carrots / Ginger / Green onions - Prep as directed
- Mix 1 tbs. (15 ml) of oil with leftover rice. It's easiest to just use your hands for this step
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon (15 ml) oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring often, until pink, firm and cooked through, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Return pan to heat and add another tablespoon of cooking oil. Add garlic, onion, and chicken sausage to heated oil. Stir often until onions become translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in corn, peas, carrots, and rice. Cook stirring constantly (yes, give your arms a workout!) until heated through, about 1-2 minutes.
- Finally add soy sauce and ginger, and gently toss to combine. Toss until heated through, ~2 minutes. Stir in green onions.
- Serve drizzled with Sriracha if desired.
Added 3 scrambled eggs. The kids liked it.0 Helpful
Did not taste like restaurant style fried rice.0 Helpful
Very easy to put together with leftover rice and precooked sausage. We left out the shrimp and doubled up on sausage (turkey) and added an egg at the end, I will add only 2 T soy sauce next time.0 Helpful
Used the basic recipe but subbed edamame for the shrimp and sausage. Added 2 scrambled eggs at the end. Good recipe. Toddler enjoyed it too.0 Helpful
My husband commented that this may be the best fried rice he has ever had -- he attributed this mostly to the ginger and soy sauce. The shrimp and chicken sausage were tasty together but I think it would have been just as good with a single meat of any kind.0 Helpful
This was SO good! I changed up a few things. Skipped chicken sausage, used Trader Joe's frozen "soycatash" mix, added some sesame oil when everything was mixing together and added a few extra tablespoons of soy sauce. My husband and I loved this dish. It was so easy and will definitely become a staple!0 Helpful