Cumin Lamb Kebabs
with cumin-coriander carrot salad
These lamb kebabs and this cumin-coriander carrot salad are packed with Middle-Eastern flavors and are sure to make it to a summer BBQ!
- Lamb loin - 1 1/2 lbs
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp + 2/3 tsp
- Skewers - 8 to 12
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Carrots - 4, peeled into ribbons or grated
- Parsley (opt) - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- Shallots - 1 bulb, sliced
- Red wine vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Harissa paste (opt) - 1 tsp
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Pistachios, shelled - 1/4 cup
- Currants (sub raisins or craisins) - 1/4 cup
- Lamb - Chop into 1" / 2.5 cm cubes. Marinate in aminos, garlic powder, first part of cooking oil, and first part of cumin. Tenderize with a fork. (Ideally done 1 day ahead)
- Skewers - Soak in water.
- Carrots (follow this zucchini video for ribbons or grate) / Parsley (opt) / Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together red wine vinegar, cumin, coriander, honey, harissa paste (opt), and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat an oven to 350F / 177C.
- Place pistachios on a sheet pan and toast for 6 to 8 minutes, giving the pan a shake midway through.
- Skewer lamb, ~5 cubes / kebab. I typically use 2 skewers per kebab. This makes it easier to flip the kebabs while cooking. You can check out this video to see what I mean (even though it's done with salmon).
- Heat up a grill pan or griddle over medium-high heat. Add second half of cooking oil and then kebabs to heated oil. Grill on each side for about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, rotating through all 4 sides. Remove from heat and let rest for ~5 minutes. For more well-done meat, cover with 2 layers of foil when you remove kebabs from the grill pan. They'll cook some more (this is called carryover cooking).
- Mix together second part of cumin, coriander, and salt. Sprinkle cooked kebabs with seasoning.
- Toss vinaigrette with carrots, parsley, shallots, currants, and pistachios and enjoy with lamb kebabs.
This was good, but wasn't enough of a meal for the family of 6 of us. We prefer to have a main dish along with a side. Still great as a side salad or to bring to a BBQ.0 Helpful
Didn't have skewers, so this was more like "lamb chunks and carrot salad." The flavors were good but an additional element would have pulled the dish together more. Will be making the salad again!0 Helpful
Such a great Meatless Monday dish!0 Helpful
I really liked this! It is a great, healthy, unusual side dish. I would add some type of meat if I wanted it to be the main dish but I love it as a side dish. I also added a bit of sriracha sauce for that extra oomph! Would definitely make this again.0 Helpful
I don't know if I did something wrong but it didn't come together for me.0 Helpful
Delicious and satisfying, but next time I may add some green onion or finely chopped red onion to amp up the flavor. Great as leftovers, and would be a good dish for a potluck.0 Helpful