Cumin Lamb Kebabs
with cumin-coriander carrot salad
These lamb kebabs and this cumin-coriander carrot salad are packed with Middle-Eastern flavors and are sure to make it to a summer BBQ!
Cumin Lamb Kebabs:
- Lamb loin - 1 1/2 lbs
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp + 2/3 tsp
- Skewers - 8 to 12
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
Cumin-Coriander Carrot Salad with Currants & Pistachios:
- Carrots - 4 , peeled into ribbons or grated
- Parsley (opt) - 3 Tbsp , chopped
- Shallots - 1 bulb , sliced
- Red wine vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Harissa paste (opt) - 1 tsp
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Pistachios, shelled - 1/4 cup
- Currants (sub raisins or craisins) - 1/4 cup
- Lamb - Chop into 1" / 2.5 cm cubes. Marinate in aminos, garlic powder, first part of cooking oil, and first part of cumin. Tenderize with a fork. (Ideally done 1 day ahead)
- Skewers - Soak in water.
- Carrots (follow this zucchini video for ribbons or grate) / Parsley (opt) / Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together red wine vinegar, cumin, coriander, honey, harissa paste (opt), and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat an oven to 350F / 177C.
- Place pistachios on a sheet pan and toast for 6 to 8 minutes, giving the pan a shake midway through.
- Skewer lamb, ~5 cubes / kebab. I typically use 2 skewers per kebab. This makes it easier to flip the kebabs while cooking. You can check out this video to see what I mean (even though it's done with salmon).
- Heat up a grill pan or griddle over medium-high heat. Add second half of cooking oil and then kebabs to heated oil. Grill on each side for about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, rotating through all 4 sides. Remove from heat and let rest for ~5 minutes. For more well-done meat, cover with 2 layers of foil when you remove kebabs from the grill pan. They'll cook some more (this is called carryover cooking).
- Mix together second part of cumin, coriander, and salt. Sprinkle cooked kebabs with seasoning.
- Toss vinaigrette with carrots, parsley, shallots, currants, and pistachios and enjoy with lamb kebabs.