Mediterranean Grilled Cheese with Prosciutto, Artichokes, and Tomatoes
with balsamic roasted broccoli
We haven't done a grilled cheese in awhile, and this one is Mediterranean inspired for sophisticated flavor but still with oozing cheesy goodness.
Smarts: Looking to save some calories? Skip the butter and halve the cheese and bread by making this an open-faced melt. Just assemble with cheese on top and place under a broiler for 4 to 6 minutes, until cheese is bubbling.
- Artichoke hearts (~14 oz) - 1 can, chopped
- Tomatoes - 2 , sliced
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Sandwich bread - 8 slices
- Prosciutto - 8 slices
- Cheese, like gruyere, Swiss, fontina or mozzarella - 8 slices
- Broccoli - 1 1/2 lbs, chopped
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C. Toss broccoli with red pepper flakes, balsamic vinegar, cooking oil, and some salt and pepper. Spread out onto a sheet pan and roast for 20 minutes, shaking once and rotating pan midway through.
- While broccoli roasts, assemble and cook grilled cheese sandwiches. Butter one side of each piece of bread with about 1/2 Tbsp / 7 g of butter each. Lay out bread buttered-side down. Layer with cheese, prosciutto, tomatoes, artichokes, another slice of cheese and top with bread, buttered-side up. Continue until all sandwiches are made. (If you want to do lower cal, skip the butter and halve the cheese and bread by doing open-face melts. Layer bread with prosciutto, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and cheese. Place under a broiler for 4 to 6 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.)
- Heat up a griddle or a skillet over medium heat. Place sandwiches onto heated surface (as many as can fit) and press down throughout the grilling process with a spatula. Flip once the first side is golden, ~ 3 to 4 minutes.
- Finish roasted broccoli with lemon juice and some salt and pepper. Enjoy with your hot, melted grilled cheese sandwiches!
This was incredible. We used brioche bread and it was pretty magical.0 Helpful
I doubled the basil and oregano and it had wonderful flavor. I will go easy on the salt next time because of the prociutto. It also took about 25 minutes in the oven instead of 12-15.0 Helpful
Recommended broil time a tad bit long.0 Helpful
made this from the archives. Almost broiled too long..maybe should have had the shelf in oven lower. It all turned out good though!!!0 Helpful
Skipped the broccoli and just did the sandwich. Yummy yummy!0 Helpful
Love grilled cheese! Skipped the broccoli and opted for some gazpacho and an arugula salad. Yum!0 Helpful