Green Garlic Salmon
with zucchini ribbon & mixed green salad
Green garlic (sometimes known as spring or new garlic) is a less mature, milder tasting garlic. It's got a budding garlic bulb at the end and has green shoots. If it's easily found, it's definitely worth using to add flavor to this spring salmon dish!
Green Garlic Salmon:
- Green garlic (sub 1 clove garlic for each green garlic stalk) - 2 stalks
- Salmon fillets (4 to 6 oz) - 4
- White wine vinaigrette - ~3 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Lemon - 1/2 , wedges
Zucchini Ribbon & Farro Salad:
- Farro (for 2 meals) - 1 1/2 cups
- Zucchini - 2 , peeled into ribbons
- White wine vinaigrette - ~4 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Mixed greens - 4 oz
White Wine Vinaigrette:
- White wine vinegar (sub red wine vinegar) - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Cooking oil - 4 Tbsp
- Farro - This makes enough for Thursday’s dinner. Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Give it a generous sprinkle of salt and add farro. If you bought semi-pearled or husked farro, it should take about 25 minutes to cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Reserve 2 cups / 380 g for Thursday (amount for 4 servings; adjust accordingly if customizing). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green garlic or garlic - If using green / spring / new garlic, slice off green parts and the root end. Slice in half lengthwise and then saute in some oil with a bit of salt until softened, ~3 minutes. Chop. If using garlic, just crush or mince. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, honey, Dijon, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate salmon - Rinse and dry salmon. Mix green garlic or garlic with half the vinaigrette in a baking pan and coat salmon in the marinade. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead).
- Heat oven to 400F / 203C.
- Bake salmon for 12 to 16 minutes until mostly opaque (if you like your salmon slightly rare, it should still be translucent in the middle).
- While salmon is baking, peel zucchini ribbons. Place into a colander and lightly salt.
- When salmon is done, toss remainder of vinaigrette with zucchini, greens, and 1 cup of farro (remember to save 2 cups / 380 g - amount for 4 servings - for Thursday). If you like nuts or seeds in your salads, you can throw some in for extra crunch. Enjoy salmon with lemon wedges and salad on the side!
- If you want to get a head start on your slow cooker soup for tomorrow, you can.