Black Pepper Tofu
with zucchini & mushrooms and rice
- Rice, white or brown - 1 cup
Black Pepper Tofu:
- Firm tofu - 1 lb , cubed
- Garlic - 2 cloves , minced
- Jalapeno - 1 , seeded and diced
- Cremini mushrooms - 1/2 cup , halved
- Zucchini - 1 , cubed
- Ginger - 1 Tbsp , grated
- Green onions - 4 , cut into 1-inch pieces
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Black pepper - 1 Tbsp , coarsely ground
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Rice - Make if not done on prep day. If you're also making tomorrow's meal, double the portions. Cook rice with a 2:1 water to rice ratio. Bring to a boil, then simmer until rice has absorbed all liquid (20 to 25 min. for white rice; 45 to 50 for brown)
- Tofu / Garlic / Jalapeno / Mushrooms / Zucchini / Ginger / Green onions - Prep as directed
- Heat 1 tbs. (15 ml) oil in a large saute pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add tofu with a generous sprinkle of salt and cook, flipping occasionally, until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Return wok to heat and add remaining tablespoon of oil. Add garlic and jalapeño to heated oil and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in mushrooms and zucchini with a dash of salt, and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Finally, add in soy sauce, pepper, ginger, sugar, tofu, and green onions. Toss to mix and season to taste with more soy sauce or pepper.
- Serve with rice.