Black Pepper Tofu
with zucchini & mushrooms and rice
Skip the meat tonight and try this black pepper tofu right at home. Instead of spice, the black pepper provides fragrance and just a bit of sharpness. We combine it with veggies to guarantee you a healthy and delicious meal
- White / brown rice - 1 cup
- Firm tofu - 1 lb, cubed
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Jalapeno - 1, seeded and diced
- Cremini mushrooms - 1/2 cup, halved
- Zucchini - 1, cubed
- Ginger - 1 Tbsp, grated
- Green onions - 4, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Black pepper - 1 Tbsp, coarsely ground
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Rice - Make if not done on prep day. If you're also making tomorrow's meal, double the portions. Cook rice with a 2:1 water to rice ratio. Bring to a boil, then simmer until rice has absorbed all liquid (20 to 25 min. for white rice; 45 to 50 for brown)
- Tofu / Garlic / Jalapeno / Mushrooms / Zucchini / Ginger / Green onions - Prep as directed
- Heat 1 tbs. (15 ml) oil in a large saute pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add tofu with a generous sprinkle of salt and cook, flipping occasionally, until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Return wok to heat and add remaining tablespoon of oil. Add garlic and jalapeño to heated oil and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in mushrooms and zucchini with a dash of salt, and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Finally, add in soy sauce, pepper, ginger, sugar, tofu, and green onions. Toss to mix and season to taste with more soy sauce or pepper.
- Serve with rice.
We made the original, but with chicken instead of tofu. Very peppery, as others have said, but it was good overall.0 Helpful
Too peppery, but maybe because I used regular pepper instead of coarsely ground. We were wishing it had a sauce.0 Helpful
I'd reduced the amount of black pepper to 1/2 Tbsp, which was still ALOT. I left the seeds in the jalapeno as we like spicy food, but between that much black pepper and the jalapeno, it was REALLY hot. We ate it and enjoyed it, but if we make it again I'd reduce the black pepper to 1 tsp and keep the jalapeno seeds as I like the heat from the chiles better than black pepper.0 Helpful
Yum! I added red bell peppers and reduced the amount of black pepper to 1 tsp. A splash of chicken broth to give it a little more sauce.0 Helpful
Wow, this was much better than I expected it to be! The pepper and ginger added a ton of flavor, and we doubled the jalapeno for extra spice. The tofu was good but I think this would go well with any meat or vegetarian substitute. My only complaint was that it wasn't enough for 4 servings.0 Helpful
Unused tempeh instead of tofu. We liked it a lot.0 Helpful