Spring Pasta with Asparagus and Peas
shrimp / parmesan
Spring Pasta with Shrimp, Asparagus and Peas:
- Shrimp - 1 lb , peeled and deveined
- Parmesan - 4 oz , grated
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Green onions - 3 stalks , sliced
- Asparagus, thin or thick spears - 1 lb
- Pasta, like fettuccine or linguine - 8 oz
- Olive oil - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Peas - 1 1/2 cups
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - for serving
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Save 1 cup / 235 ml (for 4 servings; adjust accordingly if customizing) of salty, starchy pasta water before draining.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil and then shrimp to heated oil. Saute until pink and cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat and add butter to the pan. After butter melts, add garlic and green onions.
- Once you can smell the aromatics, toss in the asparagus and the peas. Saute thinner asparagus for 2 to 3 minutes, 4 to 7 minutes for thicker spears.
- Add pasta to the veggies with pasta water and parmesan cheese. Toss until you get a creamy sauce. Finish with lemon juice and black pepper. Season to taste with more salt as needed.
- Divide into bowls and top with shrimp. Enjoy with more parm, and if you’re feeling fancy, zest some lemon over each plate / bowl of pasta and sprinkle with some red pepper flakes for more spice.