Spicy (or not) Black Bean Soup
with avocado creme and chips
Smarts: This soup also makes a great dip. Just add a little less liquid and serve it at your next party!
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Jalapenos - 1, seeded and diced
- Green onions - 3 stalks, sliced
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 2 cans, drained and rinsed
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Red wine vinegar - 3 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Peppers, chipotle (opt - canned, found usually in adobo sauce) - 1
- Coriander - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken stock - 2 1/2 cups
- Corn kernels - 1 cup
- Tomatoes, roma - 2, diced
- Sour cream - for serving
- Avocados, medium - 2
- Sour cream - 1/3 cup
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Tortilla chips - for serving
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then garlic, onions, and jalapenos mixture. Saute for ~2 minutes, until slightly softened.
- Stir in red wine vinegar, honey, tomato paste, chipotle pepper (if using), coriander, cumin, and salt. Saute for another 2 to 3 minutes until the flavors really start to build.
- Add tomatoes, all but 1 cup (for 4 servings, adjust accordingly if customizing) of beans, and stock to the pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer covered for 10 to 12 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, mash avocados with sour cream and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Warm up corn (if frozen) and dice tomatoes.
- Once soup has simmered, blend with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender in batches. If using an immersion blender, I recommend you place the pot into the sink to prevent spattering. Season to taste with more honey, vinegar, spices, or salt.
- Divide into bowls and let everyone garnish soup with reserved beans, tomatoes, corn, green onions, and sour cream. Enjoy chips with avocado creme.
Holy guacamole! This soup was awesome--and the avocado creme was to die for! Definitely will make this again. (Jan. 207)0 Helpful
This was great! Filling and good flavor.0 Helpful
Was really good. I added a bit of cilantro to the soup and came out awesome0 Helpful
Added Bison0 Helpful
This was good, one of the better recipes we've tried. We used 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, a full box of broth and an additional can of beans before blending. Next time we'll add cilantro.0 Helpful
We like spicy food and this was easy to make with easy to find ingredients. Had a bit of difficulty making the tortilla chips but think we can work through that in the next go round. Made our own adaptations based on what we liked. Thank you.0 Helpful