Tofu Fajita Salad
bell peppers / tomatoes / corn / Latin spices
Smarts: Double the saute and have them as wraps the next night.
- Tofu, extra-firm (vacuum-packed preferable) - 1 lb, cubed
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp
- Shallots - 1 bulb, sliced
- Bell peppers, green - 1, sliced
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , sliced
- Green onions - 2 stalks, sliced thinly
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 head, chopped
- Tomatoes, roma - 3, chopped
- Corn kernels, frozen or canned - 1 cup, thawed or drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, queso fresco - 4 oz, crumbled (sub grated cheddar)
- Tortilla chips (opt) - 1 cup, crushed
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Vinegar, red wine - 3 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Then cube and toss with garlic powder, paprika, coriander, cumin, and some salt. (Can be done up 1 day ahead)
- Shallots / Bell Peppers / Green onions - Prep as directed (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Prepare dressing - Mince garlic. Whisk garlic with red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, sour cream, paprika, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Romaine / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Corn - Warm in microwave for frozen or drain and rinse for canned.
- Heat a non-stick pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then shallots to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Next add tofu and saute for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Fold in peppers and toss for another 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Assemble salads with romaine, tomatoes, corn, green onions, and crumbled queso fresco. Toss with tofu and peppers and dressing. Season to taste with salt, pepper, or more of the spices!
We loved this and the dressing was quite tasty! Definitely going on the favorites list.0 Helpful
Loved it! My husband wasn't crazy about the dressing (he never is), but I thought it was great and had leftovers the next day! I ended up sauteeing everything together -- including the corn and green onions. So it was just one stir fry to top over the dressed lettuce. This worked well for us, and great for leftovers!0 Helpful
I added avocado to the salad, great choice. I added onion and cooked the bell peppers with the onions longer than suggested. I also added the corn in with the veggies prior to adding the shrimp. I did think the dressing had too much red wine vinegar so I added extra sour cream, a little mayo, chili powder and cilantro. I topped the salad with the green onions and also a little extra cilantro.0 Helpful
This was a big hit at my house. The dressing was so good!0 Helpful
Loved this! I used smoked paprika for the dressing and shrimp. So good!0 Helpful
Came together fast once the chopping was done, and beyond delicious! Exactly what I want from a weeknight meal!0 Helpful