Indian Curried Fried Rice
frozen cauliflower / peas / carrots
Smarts: Using all frozen veggies for fried rice makes it one of the quickest weeknight meals!
- Cauliflower florets, frozen (sub fresh) - 1 lb
- Carrots and peas, frozen - 2 cups
- Chicken breasts, boneless & skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Ginger - 1 inch, grated
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped, white and green parts separated
- Leftover rice (from Monday) - 2 cups
- Curry powder - 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp
- Turmeric - 2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil or ghee - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Raisins, golden - 1/3 cup
- Thaw frozen veggies - Measure out cauliflower and peas / carrots.
- Chicken - Chop into bite-sized pieces. Season with salt and pepper and then tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Ginger / Green onions - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Prep rice - Transfer leftover rice from Monday into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add first part of curry powder, turmeric, chili powder, coriander, cumin, and salt to bowl but don’t mix just yet.
- Heat a wok or saute pan over medium-high heat. Toss chicken with second part of curry powder.
- Add first part of oil / ghee and then chicken to heated fat. Saute until golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from pan and add to bowl with rice and spices.
- Return pan to medium-high heat and add second part of oil / ghee to pan. Add ginger and white parts of green onions to the heated fat.
- Once you can smell the aromatics, add cauliflower, peas, carrots, and raisins to the pan (it’s fine if they’re not fully defrosted - they’ll defrost in the pan). Toss and saute until thawed and warmed through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix chicken with rice and spices.
- Once veggies are cooked, fold in chicken and rice mixture. Toss until rice is warmed through.
- Season to taste with more spices and / or salt and pepper. Finish with green parts of the green onions and serve hot!
Added some chicken stock per. other suggestions. Next time I will add coconut milk!0 Helpful
I made this for the 17 people who came to my book club meeting. They all loved it. I downloaded the version that serves 8 and doubled it. I also had cashews and raisins for people to sprinkle on top.0 Helpful
Roasted bell peppers would be a nice addition to this!0 Helpful
Nothing special, tho I didn't have raisins to maybe that's the kicker ingredient0 Helpful
May have been a bit heavy handed on the chilli, but taste great- very filling0 Helpful
Yum! We made with paneer instead of chicken, and had with some other sides as well to make it feel more of a meal. I tossed the seasonings and rice in with the stir fried paneer to let the spices all get toasted a bit, and also added a little broth to the veggies cooking to help them get cooked and add a little moisture per other reviews.0 Helpful