Chipotle Black Bean Bowls
with cilantro lime rice
Chipotle black beans, with plenty of smoky spice, add a great dose of protein to these flavorful burrito bowls. The recipe is so tasty that we've doubled it so you'll have leftovers to top tostadas on Wednesday!
Chipotle Burrito Bowls:
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Chipotle peppers (canned, found usually in adobo sauce) - 1 to 2 , chopped
- Adobo sauce (usually found with canned chipotle peppers) - 1 to 3 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Apple cider vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Onions - 1 , chopped
- Bell peppers, any type - 2 , chopped
- Black beans - enough for Wed (14 oz / 397 g can) - 2 cans , drained
- Queso fresco (sub grated cheddar) - 4 oz , crumbled
- Avocados - 1 , chopped
- Cherry tomatoes - 1/2 pint , chopped
- Cilantro - 1 bunch , leaves torn
- Lime - 1 , wedges
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can , use tomatoes and juice
- Tortilla chips (opt) - for serving
Cilantro Lime Rice:
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup , chopped
- Rice, white or brown - 1 cup
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Make chipotle sauce - Mince garlic. Combine garlic with chipotles, adobo sauce, tomato paste, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Peppers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Black beans - Drain and rinse.
- Queso fresco / Avocados / Tomatoes / Cilantro (for bowls & rice) / Lime - Prep as directed.
- To make rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 minutes; brown at ~45 minutes. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. Stir in cooking oil, cilantro and lime juice.
- Heat cooking oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add onions and peppers and saute until onion begins to turn translucent ~ 4 minutes. Add black beans, diced tomates (including liquid) and prepared chipotle sauce. Continue cooking until sauce reduces down and beans are tender ~5 to 8 minutes. (When finished remember to reserve half of the chipotle beans for Wednesday night!)
- To assemble burrito bowls, divide rice and beans into bowls. Add queso fresco, avocados and tomatoes. Finish with cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. Enjoy on its own or with a few tortilla chips for dipping!