Chipotle Chicken Thighs
with chunky guacamole and spinach salad
Chipotle, with its smoky spice, adds tons of flavor to oven-roasted chicken thighs. This recipe is so tasty that we've doubled it so you'll have leftovers to top tostadas on Wednesday!
Chipotle Chicken Thighs:
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can , use tomatoes and juice ((1 can = ~2 cups))
- Chipotle peppers (canned, found usually in adobo sauce) - 1 to 2 , chopped
- Adobo sauce (usually found with canned chipotle peppers) - 1 to 3 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Apple cider vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken thighs, bone-in & skin on (enough for Wed) - 8
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
Chunky Guacamole Spinach Salad:
- Avocados - 1 , chopped
- Cherry tomatoes - 1/2 pint , chopped
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Make chipotle sauce - Mince garlic. Combine garlic with tomatoes, chipotles, adobo sauce, tomato paste, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Reserve about half for Wednesday's dinner. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Sprinkle skin side with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Avocados / Tomatoes / Cilantro / Lime - Prep as directed.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Preheat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Heat cooking oil over high heat in a large oven-safe skillet and add chicken skin side down. Cook until the skin is golden brown ~2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for 2 to 3 minutes. (NOTE: If your pan cannot fit all of the thighs comfortably, brown the in batches. Chicken will not brown properly if the pan is crowded.) Turn off the burner and transfer chicken to a plate. Discard any cooking oil / grease from the skillet.
- Add chipotle sauce to skillet (remember to save about half of the sauce for Wednesday!) and top with chicken, skin-side up. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until chicken is firm and juices run clear when pricked.
- Assemble salad by combining avocado, tomatoes, cilantro and lime. Mash gently with a fork. Season with some salt and pepper. Serve over spinach.
- Serve chicken thighs with chipotle sauce spooned over top and salad on the side! (Remember to save half the chicken thighs and roughly half of the chipotle sauce for Wednesday night.)
- To get a head start on Wednesday's dinner, shred the chicken (discard bones and skin). Toss with remaining half of chipotle sauce.