Tortellini Soup with Creamy Tomato Broth
mushrooms and spinach
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 2, chopped
- Mushrooms, brown or cremini - 3/4 lb, sliced
- Diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Tortellini, fresh or frozen - 10 oz
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/2 tsp
- Basil, dried - 1/2 Tbsp
- Vegetable broth - 3 cups
- Cream (opt) - 2 to 4 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Cook tortellini according to package instructions and then drain.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic, onions, and carrots to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt, red pepper flakes, and basil. Saute for ~5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth, and some salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. If using an immersion blender, you might want to transfer pot into sink since there might be spattering.
- Return pot to medium-high heat and fold in mushrooms. Cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn off heat, and stir in cream (if using), tortellini, and spinach. Finish with lemon juice, and season to taste with more salt and pepper. Enjoy your comforting soup!
Delish! I must not have soup at restaurants very often because I thought it was fine with the cream as it was! Woo-hoo! Made it exactly as is (but without mushrooms, in accordance with our family truce of "No More Mushrooms Ever, I Mean It" that I agreed to once I realized mushrooms have little nutritional properties) and the adults like it and the one child who'd be willing to try it might go for it next time too. Wait, I might have added some tomato paste as well to use it up and make space in the fridge. Just a thought for next time.0 Helpful
Simple and delicious - we really enjoyed this and didn’t change anything, except extra tortellini!0 Helpful
I grated the carrots and garlic. I didn't have the mushrooms &hubby doesn't like them. I made cashew cream. I used red leaf lettuce cut into strips instead of spinach. I put hot sauce in mine because my husband is sensitive to red pepper. I did put white pepper in the soup. My husband topped his with parmesan cheese. I used vegan vegetable tofu dumplings. It was delicious!0 Helpful
The whole family loved this recipe! We had to add extra cream to tone down the spiciness for the kiddos. I might use less red pepper flakes next time. We didn’t have spinach so had to sub frozen peas but it was still fantastic!0 Helpful
I did about 1.5 cups of banza pasta and 2 vegan sausage instead of shrimp to make this vegan. I also made it without oil or butter and it turned out great!0 Helpful
So delicious and so easy! I replaced the shrimp with ground pork (knew I'd be having this as leftovers for the next few days and didn't want to risk the shrimp turning rubbery when I reheat the soup). Love everything about this soup!0 Helpful