Tortellini Soup with Creamy Tomato Broth
mushrooms and spinach
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 2, chopped
- Mushrooms, brown or cremini - 3/4 lb, sliced
- Diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Tortellini, fresh or frozen - 10 oz
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/2 tsp
- Basil, dried - 1/2 Tbsp
- Vegetable broth - 3 cups
- Cream (opt) - 2 to 4 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Cook tortellini according to package instructions and then drain.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic, onions, and carrots to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt, red pepper flakes, and basil. Saute for ~5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth, and some salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. If using an immersion blender, you might want to transfer pot into sink since there might be spattering.
- Return pot to medium-high heat and fold in mushrooms. Cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn off heat, and stir in cream (if using), tortellini, and spinach. Finish with lemon juice, and season to taste with more salt and pepper. Enjoy your comforting soup!
So delicious and so easy! I replaced the shrimp with ground pork (knew I'd be having this as leftovers for the next few days and didn't want to risk the shrimp turning rubbery when I reheat the soup). Love everything about this soup!0 Helpful
Added some Greek yogurt in lieu of cream. Very good overall -- was like a soupy pasta sauce. My spinach leaves were too big -- would tear or cut down a bit next time.0 Helpful
Good, but I thought it was a little too tangy.0 Helpful
A bit too spicy0 Helpful
Really liked it! It was very filling... I didn't think it needed cream so I didn't add it. A little too spicy for the kids though... Next time I won't use so much red pepper flakes...0 Helpful
This recipe was wonderful and very filling. The red pepper flakes give it a nice mild kick.0 Helpful