Tortellini Soup with Creamy Tomato Broth
mushrooms and spinach
Tortellini Soup with Creamy Tomato Broth:
- Garlic - 4 cloves , minced
- Onions - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 2 , chopped
- Mushrooms, brown or cremini - 3/4 lb , sliced
- Diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Tortellini, fresh or frozen - 10 oz
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/2 tsp
- Basil, dried - 1/2 Tbsp
- Vegetable broth - 3 cups
- Cream (opt) - 2 to 4 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
- Cook tortellini according to package instructions and then drain.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic, onions, and carrots to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt, red pepper flakes, and basil. Saute for ~5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth, and some salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. If using an immersion blender, you might want to transfer pot into sink since there might be spattering.
- Return pot to medium-high heat and fold in mushrooms. Cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn off heat, and stir in cream (if using), tortellini, and spinach. Finish with lemon juice, and season to taste with more salt and pepper. Enjoy your comforting soup!