Ginger Beef Stir-Frywith carrots and snow peas over quinoa
Stir-fries are the perfect weeknight solution and you'll love this combo of steak, carrots, and snow peas to welcome spring.
Smarts: We use orange juice as a base for our stir-fry sauce to add a little sweetness and tang.
- Steak, flank or skirt - 1 lb, sliced against the grain
- Ginger - 1 inch, sliced thinly
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, sliced
- Carrots - 3, sliced thinly
- Snow peas - 1/2 lb, trimmed
- Green onions - 1 stalk, sliced thinly
- Orange juice - 1/2 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Rice vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Corn starch - 2 tsp
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Beef - Slice against the grain into 2” / 5 cm long strips. Season with salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Ginger / Garlic / Onions / Carrots / Snow peas / Green onions - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Mix garlic with orange juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and corn starch.
- Cook quinoa - If not already made yesterday, combine quinoa with 2x the amount of water (or stock if you prefer) in a saucepan. Add in some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then beef to heated oil. Toss until slightly golden. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Wipe wok clean with a paper towel and return back to medium-high heat. Add second part of cooking oil and then onions to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute for ~3 minutes, until softened, and then add carrots with ginger. Saute for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Next add snow peas and return steak back to the wok. Push all ingredients to the side of the wok forming a donut hole in the middle. Give the stir-fry sauce a stir in case any corn starch has sunk to the bottom and then pour into the hole.
- Wait for sauce to bubble and darken and then toss everything through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy over quinoa with green onions.
This meal has 65 reviews
Came together quickly and simply using pre-done ginger and garlic. Upped the veggies based on own preferences and still worked out well.
Pretty standard stir fry.
I liked it a lot, and will for sure make it again!
Excellent. I really loved the mix of the stir-fry and quinoa.
Yum a hit with all the family, used rice instead of quinoa
My son doesn't like snow peas so I'm going to try with broccoli next time!