Roasted Carrot and Beet Salad
with kale and orange-ginger balsamic vinaigrette
This orange-ginger balsamic vinaigrette perfectly coats roasted carrots and beets and crunchy kale for a colorful, healthy, and tasty weeknight dinner!
Smarts: Vegetarians should always keep some canned or vacuum-packed lentils around to easily add to salads and soups.
- Carrots - 4, chopped
- Beets - 2, peeled and chopped
- Kale - 1 bunch, leaves torn, toss stems
- Lentils, cooked - 2 cups
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Pistachios, shelled - 1/2 cup
- Goat cheese (opt) - 2 oz, crumbled
- Ginger - 1/2 inch, grated
- Garlic - 1 clove, minced
- Lemons - 1/2, zest of
- Orange juice - 2 Tbsp
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1/4 cup
- Carrots / Beets / Kale - Prep as directed. Use this video of turnips for beets. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make dressing - If prepping right before cooking, skip to make steps #1 - 2 before returning to prep. Grate ginger, mince garlic, and zest lemon. Combine with orange juice, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, and honey. Whisk in oil until you get a dressing that coats the back of a spoon.
- Lentils - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Toss carrots and beets with oil on a sheet pan and roast for 20 to 25 minutes, shaking once and rotating pan midway through. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper right out of the oven.
- Optional step: Toast pistachios in the oven (with veggies) for 4 to 6 minutes to bring out their nuttiness.
- Toss roasted vegetables, kale, lentils, and pistachios with your orange-ginger balsamic vinaigrette. Enjoy with goat cheese if using!
The sauce was delicious on the salmon. Really tasty0 Helpful
Really great!!! Loved the slaw a lot, though I think I'll marinate the fish in the sauce next time to give it a bit more flavor.0 Helpful
I wish more of the sauce would have stayed on the salmon instead of running to the sheet. Really liked the slaw -- used jicama instead of beets.0 Helpful
This was absolutely delicious! Even my kids gobbled it up.0 Helpful
hubby liked the slaw and thought it was interesting. I wasn't in love, but it was a nice way to use up my CSA beets and carrots0 Helpful
The salmon turned out great and the whole house smelled awesome from cooking the sauce. The slaw was beautiful. My husband thought the slaw was good as-is, but I was not feeling it. Turns out I am not a fan of raw beets. Added some red cabbage to de-beet-ify the slaw a bit and ended up liking it.0 Helpful