Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri
with roasted vegetables
Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri:
- Flank steak - 1 lb
- Parsley - 1/2 cup
- Cilantro - 1/2 cup
- Red onions - 1/2 , chopped
- Red wine vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Capers - 1 Tbsp , rinsed
- Cooking oil - 1/2 cup
- New or red potatoes - 1 lb , quartered
- Asparagus - 1 bunch , trimmed, cut into 1" / 2.5 cm pieces
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Steak - Season generously with salt and pepper. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead) Take steak out of fridge 30 minutes before cooking.
- Make chimichurri - Pulse parsley, cilantro, red onions, vinegar and capers in a food processor while slowly adding oil. Continue pulsing until nearly smooth. Season to taste with salt. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Potatoes / Asparagus - Prep as directed.
- Preheat oven to 425F / 218C degrees. Toss potatoes in oil and spread out onto a sheet pan. Roast until they begin to turn golden brown ~20 minutes. Add asparagus to the pan and stir to combine. Continue roasting until asparagus is tender and turns bright green ~5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- If making steak on grill: Preheat grill to 500F / 260C degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Place steak over direct heat. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side with the cover closed. Move steak to indirect heat and cook until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- If making steak on stovetop / oven: Heat grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush with cooking oil. Place steak onto hot grill pan. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side. Transfer steak to sheet pan; finish cooking in the oven at 425F / 218C degrees. This should be ~4 minutes for medium-rare; ~7 minutes for medium; and 10 minutes for well-done.
- Let steak rest, covered, for ~5 minutes. Cut into even portions (or thinly slice against the grain). Serve with roasted vegetables on the side and chimichurri over everything!