Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri
with roasted vegetables
With spring around the corner, fire up the grill (or stovetop!) for this classic steak dinner. We've added roasted potatoes and seasonal asparagus on the side and plenty of chimichurri sauce to enjoy over the whole plate.
Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri:
- Flank steak - 1 lb
- Parsley - 1/2 cup
- Cilantro - 1/2 cup
- Red onions - 1/2 , chopped
- Red wine vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Capers - 1 Tbsp , rinsed
- Cooking oil - 1/2 cup
- New or red potatoes - 1 lb , quartered
- Asparagus - 1 bunch , trimmed, cut into 1" / 2.5 cm pieces
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Steak - Season generously with salt and pepper. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead) Take steak out of fridge 30 minutes before cooking.
- Make chimichurri - Pulse parsley, cilantro, red onions, vinegar and capers in a food processor while slowly adding oil. Continue pulsing until nearly smooth. Season to taste with salt. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Potatoes / Asparagus - Prep as directed.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Preheat oven to 425F / 218C degrees. Toss potatoes in oil and spread out onto a sheet pan. Roast until they begin to turn golden brown ~20 minutes. Add asparagus to the pan and stir to combine. Continue roasting until asparagus is tender and turns bright green ~5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- If making steak on grill: Preheat grill to 500F / 260C degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Place steak over direct heat. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side with the cover closed. Move steak to indirect heat and cook until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- If making steak on stovetop / oven: Heat grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush with cooking oil. Place steak onto hot grill pan. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side. Transfer steak to sheet pan; finish cooking in the oven at 425F / 218C degrees. This should be ~4 minutes for medium-rare; ~7 minutes for medium; and 10 minutes for well-done.
- Let steak rest, covered, for ~5 minutes. Cut into even portions (or thinly slice against the grain). Serve with roasted vegetables on the side and chimichurri over everything!