Panko-Crusted Oven-'Fried' Chickenwith buttered corn, peas, and spinach
I love fried chicken, but it's not the most weeknight (or waist) friendly dish. Our healthier, baked in the oven version is quick, tasty, and healthier. Enjoyed with a creamy side dish, you'll still have plenty to indulge in!
Smarts: Shake 'n bake is easy to scale, so cook extra and just freeze for easy after-school snacks or salad and wrap fillings.
- Chicken breasts, boneless & skinless - 1 1/4 lb
- Eggs - 1
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1 cup
- Paprika - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Onions, small - 1/2, diced
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Corn kernels - 1 1/2 cups
- Peas - 1 1/2 cups
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Cream (opt) - 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Chicken breasts - Slice into strips. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Onions - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Prep breading stations - In one bowl or container, whisk eggs with some salt and pepper. Combine panko, paprika, salt, and pepper in a container with a lid or Ziploc bag.
- Heat oven to 375F / 190C degrees.
- Dip chicken into eggs and then toss into panko mixture. Cover with lid or zip bag and shake until panko coats chicken. Brush sheet pan with some oil and spread chicken out onto sheet pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken is done and golden.
- While chicken is baking, heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and then garlic and onions to melted butter with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Next fold in corn and peas and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, until everything is warmed through.
- Fold in spinach with cream, salt, and pepper. Finish with lime juice, and season to taste with more s&p as needed.
- Enjoy chicken with your buttered side! (If the chicken feels a bit dry, just coat it in your side.)
This meal has 102 reviews
This was simple and tasty. And I love that most of the ingredients I have in hand - will save this one for last-minute-no-groceries meal ideas. Two adults and a toddler polished off the 4 portion recipe.
Added 1/2 tsp of garlic powder to breadcrumb mix. Very tasty.
I only made the chicken to go on salads for lunch at work and its has been great.
Loved the veggies, chicken was great. Much better than fried chicken!
The vegetables were delcious. The chicken was fine, but i ended up having to make a honey mustard dipping sauce for it.
Chicken was super good! Loved the panko crust. And sauteed spinach is always an awesome side.