Slow Cooker Irish Beef Stew
with carrots and potatoes
Smarts: Because beef does need a long time to really get tender, we think the best results can be achieved in a slow cooker, so we skipped the non-slow cooker directions on this one.
- Beef stew meat - 1 lb
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 2, chopped
- Potatoes, russet - 2, peeled and chopped
- Flour (opt) - 2 Tbsp
- Cooking oil (opt) - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Beef stock / broth - 2 to 3 cups
- Guinness (opt) - 1/4 cup
- Red wine (opt) - 1/4 cup
- Bay leaves - 2
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Peas (opt) - 1 cup
- Optional step: Toss meat with flour. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then sear meat until browned on the outside.
- While meat is browning, mix together tomato paste, soy sauce, beef stock (use more if you like it more soupy than stewy) and Guinness & red wine (if using) in slow cooker.
- Transfer meat (browned or not) to slow cooker. Add garlic, onions, carrots, potatoes, bay leaves, and black pepper.
- Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or high for 3 to 4 until meat is falling apart and tender.
- If using peas, microwave for ~1 minute and then fold them into stew.
- Remove bay leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
What I did: I used 3 cups of beef stock which made the stew soupy. I still liked it. I browned the beef in arrowroot which scared me because it looked gloopy. I was afraid that would affect the stew, but it didn't. I added a few dashes of Frank's Original after the stew was done. What I didn't do: I meant to add the peas, but I forgot. I didn't use Guinness or red wine. I liked the recipe and would make it again. Next time I will decrease the amount of stock. This was my first time trying turnips, and I found them to be quite similar in texture and taste to potatoes. Nothing wrong with them.1 Helpful
Did this in the pressure cooker using instructions from the instant pot group - sauté beef then veg, then add everything else and pressure cook for 35 min. Peas added at the end. Reduced stock to 1 cup, used 40ml tomato paste (that's what size the packets are), kept the other liquid the same. Would consider reducing stock just a tad more. Next time, more carrot, maybe more turnip, and we need to remember some crusty bread.0 Helpful
Wonderful! Made exactly as written except used IPA instead of Guinness. I think Guinness would be even better, but didn't have on hand.0 Helpful
I added the potatoes in during the last hour.0 Helpful
It was tasty enough but it wasn't the hearty, stick to your ribs stew I was hoping for0 Helpful
So good and have leftovers. Doubled potatoes and used 1.5 lb of stew meat. No red wine, just Guiness. Perfect for our late St. Patty's Day celebration.0 Helpful
bland, added a lot of salt and pepper to it.0 Helpful