Slow Cooker Irish Beef Stew
with carrots and potatoes
It's St. Paddy's Day so we brought you a classic Irish Stew, cooked in your slow cooker. Whether you add the Guinness and / or wine, you'll still be left with a lot of heartiness to warm you through this cold winter.
Smarts: Because beef does need a long time to really get tender, we think the best results can be achieved in a slow cooker, so we skipped the non-slow cooker directions on this one.
- Beef stew meat - 1 lb
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 2, chopped
- Potatoes, russet - 2, peeled and chopped
- Flour (opt) - 2 Tbsp
- Cooking oil (opt) - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Beef stock / broth - 2 to 3 cups
- Guinness (opt) - 1/4 cup
- Red wine (opt) - 1/4 cup
- Bay leaves - 2
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Peas (opt) - 1 cup
- Optional step: Toss meat with flour. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then sear meat until browned on the outside.
- While meat is browning, mix together tomato paste, soy sauce, beef stock (use more if you like it more soupy than stewy) and Guinness & red wine (if using) in slow cooker.
- Transfer meat (browned or not) to slow cooker. Add garlic, onions, carrots, potatoes, bay leaves, and black pepper.
- Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or high for 3 to 4 until meat is falling apart and tender.
- If using peas, microwave for ~1 minute and then fold them into stew.
- Remove bay leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
Wonderful! Made exactly as written except used IPA instead of Guinness. I think Guinness would be even better, but didn't have on hand.0 Helpful
I added the potatoes in during the last hour.0 Helpful
It was tasty enough but it wasn't the hearty, stick to your ribs stew I was hoping for0 Helpful
So good and have leftovers. Doubled potatoes and used 1.5 lb of stew meat. No red wine, just Guiness. Perfect for our late St. Patty's Day celebration.0 Helpful
bland, added a lot of salt and pepper to it.0 Helpful
Added 1 tsp Worcestershire and 1 tsp sugar, 1/4 c Guinness, and 14 oz (only) beef broth. I didn't precook beef. No peas Fabulous and flavorful.0 Helpful