Italian Ribollita Soup
with beans, veggies, and crusty bread
This classic Italian soup is peasant, comfort food at its best. See how spices, some cured meat, and basic pantry essentials can elevate budget ingredients.
Italian Ribollita [Bean] Soup:
- Pancetta (sub bacon) - 4 oz , diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Carrots - 2 , diced
- Celery - 2 ribs , diced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch , leaves torn, stems chopped
- Beans, white, like cannellini (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasonings - 1 Tbsp
- Basil, dried - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Tomatoes, diced - 1 cup
- Stock, chicken - 4 cups
- Cheese, parmesan - 1 rind + more for serving
- Crusty bread (opt) - 5 oz
- Pancetta / Garlic / Carrots / Celery - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chard - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add pancetta and saute for ~1 minute.
- Add garlic, chard stems, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, Italian seasonings, basil, and black pepper. Saute for another 2 minutes, letting the flavors caramelize together.
- Add carrots, celery, diced tomatoes, chicken stock, and parmesan rind. Bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, until carrots and celery are tender.
- Fold in beans and chard leaves.
- Fish out parmesan rind, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide into bowls and sprinkle with more parmesan. Enjoy with crusty bread if using.