Adult Hamburger Helper
with balsamic roasted broccoli
Smarts: Finish with cheddar cheese if you want a thicker finish and more comfort or a touch of cream for something lighter and more sophisticated.
- Ground beef, lean - 1 lb
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Sundried tomatoes - 6 , sliced
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Pasta like fusilli, shells, elbow - 8 oz
- Milk - 2 1/2 cups
- Water - 1 cup
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Parsley, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Cayenne pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cream (or sub 1 cup of cheddar cheese / 4 servings) - 2 Tbsp
- Broccoli - 1 1/2 lbs, chopped
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Beef - Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Broccoli - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Sun-dried tomatoes - Slice.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C. Toss broccoli with red pepper flakes, balsamic vinegar, cooking oil and some salt and pepper. Spread out onto a sheet pan and roast for 20 minutes (if you have leftover garbanzo beans from yesterday, feel free to toss them onto the pan), shaking once midway through.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic, sundried tomatoes, and red pepper flakes to heated oil. Heat for ~1 minute and then add beef and brown for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add in pasta, milk, water, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, parsley, and cayenne. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer until pasta is al dente, tender but still with a bite. This should take ~10 minutes, but check and stir every few minutes to prevent sticking.
- Once pasta is cooked, remove from heat. Add in cream (or cheese) and season to taste with salt and pepper, other spices, or even hot sauce. Finish roasted broccoli with lemon juice and some salt and pepper. Enjoy with pasta!
I didn't use any red pepper flakes and reduced the cayenne to 1/8 tsp due to other reviews saying it was too spicy plus I was cooking this for my 1.5 year old too. I LOVED the broccoli...didn't add the lemon juice...but it roasted so nicely and in the stated time frame. I had a lot of liquid too but leaving the lid off a few minutes helped a lot. Very tasty. Will make again.0 Helpful
Too spicy. Kids say too hot0 Helpful
I turned to this version after reading concerns about the 2021 version being too soupy. Cooking the pasta in all the liquids for the sauce worked beautifully - this was a hit!0 Helpful
The meat was really tasty and I liked it in the zucchini boat! The broccoli was very tasty! Like the other users, it was incredibly soupy so not sure what happened there. I enjoyed it, but gave it a 3 stars only because I wouldn't put it on my list to make again.0 Helpful
First time making this for my family. My son said, this shouldn't be called hamburger helper because it is hamburger heaven. LOL! I guess he liked it. All of my kids asked for more. I reduced the milk by a cup and added an additional cup of water due to milk being in high demand around here and supplies in local stores are very low.0 Helpful
Yum! Used Greektown seasoning with smoked hot paprika and some fire salt. Also used 4 cloves of garlic and added some onion. Can you tell I made this when I was congested :D0 Helpful