Oven-Roasted Jerk-Marinated Cauliflower
with coconut rice and beans and a side salad
Even if you're in a cold place, this Caribbean-inspired meal will get you feeling like you're in the tropics.
Smarts: While we made this with our jerk seasoning mix, feel free to use Cajun if that's what you already have on hand.
- Cauliflower - 1 head, chopped
- Jerk or Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Red or white wine vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, sliced, seeded if you want less heat
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Beans, kidney (14oz / 397g) - 1 can, rinsed and drained
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Bay leaves - 1
- Jerk or Cajun seasoning - 1 tsp
- Rice, long-grain - 1 cup
- Broth, vegetable - 1 cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 1 clove, minced
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, sliced thinly
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 4 oz
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Toss cauliflower with roasting marinade and spread out onto a foil or parchment lined sheet pan. Roast for 18 to 22 minutes, shaking once midway through. Sprinkle with salt and pepper fresh out of the oven.
- Heat a Dutch oven or non-stick pot over medium-high heat for rice and beans. Pour in coconut milk, garlic, bay leaves, and jerk or Cajun seasoning. Bring to a simmer and then add rice, vegetable broth, and salt. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until rice has absorbed all the liquid. Fold in beans.
- Make vinaigrette by whisking together garlic, vinegar, Dijon, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss vinaigrette with greens and peppers when rice and roasted cauliflower are done.
- Remove bay leaves from rice and serve jerk-roasted cauliflower with lime wedges and enjoy with coconut rice and salad!
Doubled the spices. Great flavor!0 Helpful
I would use a higher ratio of coconut milk to chicken broth next time, but otherwise I love the flavors in this!0 Helpful
Loved the jerk chicken! What a fun way to spice up meal times with something different.0 Helpful
Loved and looking forward to making again although don't love kidney beans but this meal did the, justice.0 Helpful
We loved this meal! So much flavor. We did skip the coconut in the rice and it was still awesome. I think next time I might try a bit of pineapple and pineapple juice in the rice to get that sweet element.0 Helpful
LOVED this one! We used chicken breast instead of thighs. I especially enjoyed the contrast between the spicy chicken (we kept the seeds in the jalopeno) to the coconut rice.0 Helpful