Jerk Chicken Thighs
with coconut rice and beans and a side salad
Smarts: While we made this with our jerk seasoning mix, feel free to use Cajun if that's what you already have on hand.
- Jerk or Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Red or white wine vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, sliced, seeded if you want less heat
- Chicken thighs, boneless & skinless - 1 lb ((use chicken breasts for lower fat option))
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Beans, kidney (14oz / 397g) - 1 can, rinsed and drained
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Bay leaves - 1
- Jerk or Cajun seasoning - 1 tsp
- Rice, long-grain - 1 cup
- Stock, chicken - 1 cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 1 clove, minced
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, sliced thinly
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 4 oz
- Chicken - Mix together jerk or Cajun seasoning, brown sugar, cinnamon, soy sauce, vinegar, and cooking oil. Slice jalapenos and add to marinade. Toss marinade with chicken and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Beans - Rinse and drain.
- Garlic (for rice and salad) / Bell peppers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat a Dutch oven or non-stick pot over medium-high heat for rice and beans. Pour in coconut milk, garlic, bay leaves, and jerk or Cajun seasoning. Bring to a simmer and then add rice, chicken stock, and salt. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until rice has absorbed all the liquid. Fold in beans.
- While rice is cooking, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brush some oil over skillet and then add chicken. Sear for ~3 minutes, flip and lower heat to medium. Cover with a lid and cook for another 3 minutes or until chicken is done (165F or 74C).
- Make vinaigrette by whisking together garlic, vinegar, Dijon, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss vinaigrette with greens and peppers when rice and chicken are done.
- Remove bay leaves from rice and serve chicken with lime wedges and enjoy with coconut rice and salad!
Doubled the spices. Great flavor!0 Helpful
I would use a higher ratio of coconut milk to chicken broth next time, but otherwise I love the flavors in this!0 Helpful
Loved the jerk chicken! What a fun way to spice up meal times with something different.0 Helpful
Loved and looking forward to making again although don't love kidney beans but this meal did the, justice.0 Helpful
We loved this meal! So much flavor. We did skip the coconut in the rice and it was still awesome. I think next time I might try a bit of pineapple and pineapple juice in the rice to get that sweet element.0 Helpful
LOVED this one! We used chicken breast instead of thighs. I especially enjoyed the contrast between the spicy chicken (we kept the seeds in the jalopeno) to the coconut rice.0 Helpful