Tom Kha Gai Soup
with chicken, zucchini, and mushrooms
Tom Kha Gai is a classic coconut-based Thai soup. It's sweet, savory, and tangy all at the same time, but most importantly, it's warming comfort in a bowl.
Smarts: We tried to pack this soup with lots of veggies - feel free to swap in and out whatever you love best.
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Fish sauce - 2 tsp + 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Stevia - 1/8 tsp + 1/8 tsp
- Lemongrass - 3 stalks, mashed
- Ginger, fresh - 1/2 inch, sliced thinly
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms, brown or shiitake - 1/2 lb, sliced thinly
- Zucchini, large - 1, sliced thinly
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, sliced thinly
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, sliced thinly
- Cilantro (opt) - 1/4 bunch, leaves torn off of stems
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then aromatics - lemongrass, ginger, and garlic. Saute for ~1 minute, until very fragrant.
- Next add chicken and saute until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fold in mushrooms and saute for another 2 to 3 minutes until mushrooms start to get golden.
- Pour in coconut milk, stock, and second parts of fish sauce and Stevia. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 4 to 6 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, slice jalapenos, pick off cilantro leaves, and slice limes into wedges.
- Fold in zucchini and tomatoes. If you sliced zucchini super thin, the residual heat will cook the zucchini and you can just turn off the heat. Otherwise, simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes to cook the zucchini.
- Season with hot sauce, and more fish sauce if it’s not savory enough.
- Divide into bowls and serve with jalapenos, cilantro, and lime wedges.
One of our cooksmarts favs!!0 Helpful
I added lime leaves and a thai chili.0 Helpful
love this!0 Helpful
The smell of the fish sauce almost turned me away from finishing the recipe, but I'm glad it didn't! This soup was amazing! I would definitely recommend this to friends0 Helpful
My family loved this! I do plan on tweaking a bit - more coconut milk vs broth but we loved it!!!0 Helpful
Kid approved (minus jalapeños)0 Helpful