Tom Kha Gai Soup
with chicken, zucchini, and mushrooms
Smarts: We tried to pack this soup with lots of veggies - feel free to swap in and out whatever you love best.
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Fish sauce - 2 tsp + 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp + 1 tsp
- Lemongrass - 3 stalks, mashed
- Ginger, fresh - 1/2 inch, sliced thinly
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms, brown or shiitake - 1/2 lb, sliced thinly
- Zucchini, large - 1, sliced thinly
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, sliced thinly
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, sliced thinly
- Cilantro (opt) - 1/4 bunch, leaves torn off of stems
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then aromatics - lemongrass, ginger, and garlic. Saute for ~1 minute, until very fragrant.
- Next add chicken and saute until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fold in mushrooms and saute for another 2 to 3 minutes until mushrooms start to get golden.
- Pour in coconut milk, stock, and second parts of fish sauce and brown sugar. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 4 to 6 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, slice jalapenos, pick off cilantro leaves, and slice limes into wedges.
- Fold in zucchini and tomatoes. If you sliced zucchini super thin, the residual heat will cook the zucchini and you can just turn off the heat. Otherwise, simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes to cook the zucchini.
- Season with hot sauce, and more fish sauce if it’s not savory enough.
- Divide into bowls and serve with jalapenos, cilantro, and lime wedges.
This was incredible. One of my fave dishes out and so glad to know how to make it at home. We added rice to the bottom of the dish which helped make it more filling.0 Helpful
The BEST tom kha recipe I've tried!0 Helpful
One of our cooksmarts favs!!0 Helpful
I added lime leaves and a thai chili.0 Helpful
love this!0 Helpful
The smell of the fish sauce almost turned me away from finishing the recipe, but I'm glad it didn't! This soup was amazing! I would definitely recommend this to friends0 Helpful